Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rusty canning rings - ? reuseable

Posted by Han123 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 24, 13 at 12:13

Hi,

So, my canning rings have got specks of what I suspect are rust on them. I thought I had put them away dry, but obviously not dry enough.

Question: As the rings don't actually touch the product, and its a new sealing lid (obviously :) ), can I use my old rings, or do I need to get a whole new set.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rusty canning rings - ? reuseable

As long as they aren't rusty around the lid part they should be OK.

If you have something like a Brillo or Scotchbrite pad clean them up and coat them with some veggie oil.

o

They will rust in time, I've used them until they feel like they are not holding well.

Just the moisture in the air will allow them to rust, no matter how 'dry' you get them.

o

Agree. I use them until I feel like I'm scratching the jar while screwing them on.

After that they get recycled or turned into some craft project!

Deanna

o

I've pretty much decided the protective coating on the rings just won't stand up to automatic dishwasher detergent, so I hand wash all my rings now.

o

Thanks for all the advice. Also the point about dishwasher soap, that could explain a lot!

o

dishwasher detergent is much harsher than regular dish soap. Even with only hand washing, the rings will rust eventually, but usually after 5-10 years, depending on your humidity levels.

o

I agree, hand wash only, but then air dry thoroughly and store in zip top bags.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here