Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

I Hit Gold!

A coworker, that knows I can stuff is cleaning out his Grandma's house before they put it up for sale.

He found 10 cases of new, still in the box, pint canning jars with lids! He asked if I wanted them since I bring canned goods to him and other coworkers very often. I very rarely get my jars back from most of them, so I have to buy more every year.

I offered to pay him for them and he wouldn't accept any money.

He will be getting extra canned goods this year!

Comments (13)

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Don't you just love those old treasure finds! Those of us that enjoy canning really get a good feeling when things like that happen. And yes I know others think we are just weird but I'll take a free box of jars any day over many other things some folks treasure.

This is your reward for taking all those canned goods into work. :)

Dave

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

Congratulations! Free is always good!

I found a bucket full of them recently at the recycling station. I know you're not supposed to take things, but nobody was there, and these looked really clean. One of just about every size from 8 ounce to half gallon, and a couple more pints and quarts. Not bad. i found a bunch of mayo jars one time, too.

I was finding good deals locally on Craig's List a few years ago, but not so many really good deals lately. One lady was cleaning out an old dilapidated house and ran an ad for pints, quarts, and halves at something like 5 cents, 10 cents, and 25 cents respectively. It might have been a tad more, but not much. So I sent her a note and asked how much for all she had. She really didn't understand that I really meant what I was asking. I don't remember the numbers, but there were over 1000 jars total. Some in wooden crates. Others in nice cardboard produce boxes that they had to go round up. I think it totalled about $140, and I gave her $160 because I thought the crates were worth something (not really, though) and they had hauled them all to their home so I could make one trip. I had enough boxes to cover the 8x12 bed of my truck twice, and three deep in some areas. Add $20 in fuel to go get them (40 mile round trip), and it was still a good haul. Never again will I find that kind of deal... They weren't free, but close enough.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I'm wondering about something....

I don't know how old they are since she passed 2 years ago and I'm pretty sure that she bought them years earlier, since she was in her 90's.

I opened a case and the seals on the lids are still soft, they look fine. There isn't a speck of dust in or on anything including the outside of the boxes. They look like they came off of the store shelf yesterday!

Do Y'all think they are OK?

Lids are cheap, so I might do a test run on a few to be sure.

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

What color are the boxes? Brown or white? Are they full size boxes that encase the jars completely? Or the tray types with plastic shrink wrap?

I know you know, but if they're Ball jars, brown are older than white and they're older than all the half box trays, which were brown or white (i don't remember) but are now bright green. If they're Kerr or Golden Harvest, they're always brown cardboard except old Golden Harvest, which were white for a while if I remember correctly.

If nothing else, you can wash the flats and use them like you would used lids for leftovers or jarring extra from an over sized batch. If they weren't rusted, I'd be tempted to try them in a batch with something that you expect to use in a few months, but not sit there over a year.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There are several different colors. I think mostly white and some beige.

I put them in my storage building when I got home. I'm not home right now so I can't go check.

I will check later today.

The box I opened was white, none are shrink wrapped. I didn't look for a name brand on any of the boxes. I was just happy!

I do remember that the jars in the box I opened were plain and clear, no logo. Like a mayo jar with the label removed.

• theforgottenone1013 (SE MI zone 5b/6a)
    9 years ago

Here's a handy pic for helping to date Ball jars. It will only get you within a certain range of years though.

For other brands of jars, well, you're on your own. :)

Rodney

Edited to add: Congratulations on your awesome find!

This post was edited by theforgottenone1013 on Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 15:02

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I checked all are from China......

They all say "Glassware" on the outside. You look on the bottom and it say's "Made In China"!

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Must be alot newer then. Like the ones from Walmart. I'd still use them.

Dave

• naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan
    9 years ago

Maybe an address sticker on the jars you give to others would remind them that you would like the jar back. Many people are happy to return them, but not until they realize that you really want to use them over and over.

Congrats on the great haul!

• thatcompostguy
    9 years ago

Ahh... Still nice sounding jars. Good luck.

• bcskye
    9 years ago

Way to go!!!

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

FreeCycle is a great place to ask for canning jars. Twice in the last ten years I have asked and received many jars. The latest was from a gentleman who lost his wife of 50 years. Boxes and boxes were in his garage and he didn't know what to do with them until he saw my request.

Try it!

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I used the lids that came on the jars.They seemed kind of thin.

They distorted in the PC. I will probably have to reprocess them.

I am waiting for them to cool and see if they seal.

Edited to add, It appeared to be that they were over tightened, but I didn't.

This post was edited by wertach on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 11:42