Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

OK to leave canned green beans in pressure cooker all night?

I was canning green beans last night, it was getting late. I had enough beans for 3 more 1/2 quart jars. Too late to use my big canner, it was past bedtime.

I decided to put them in my Fagor and go on to bed since it would turn off on its on. When I got up this morning the water was still hot!

They all seemed to seal properly. Do you think that they are OK?

Comments (22)

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can I do them over today? I put them in the fridge this morning, just in case.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Yeah you can but they will be mushier. If you do be sure to use new lids.

Dave

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

I agree! Never leave them in the canner overnight.
    I know, it sucks to have to stay up that extra 45-60 minutes waiting for it to cool, but it needs to happen.
    Or, wait until the next day to process. The snapped beans can be stored in the fridge for a day or two when necessary.

You can reprocess them today if you want though (within 24 hours). New lids, same processing time as original. After canner pressure returns to zero, loosen the lid and let them sit 10 minutes. Remove jars to the counter and allow to cool 24 hours before removing rings and storing.

Or..........cook up a big bunch beans for dinner. Boil at least 10 minutes to be safe.

Deanna

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They are in the pressure cooker now, with new lids. Plus another few jars from today's picking.

Yea, I should have just put them in the fridge, but I knew that I would have a lot more to can today! I got more than I bargained for, I'm used to bush beans. I grew runners this year and I'm overwhelmed!

"Yeah you can but they will be mushier."

Lol I'm from the south, we always over cook our green beans! We like them wrinkled!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Lol I'm from the south, we always over cook our green beans! We like them wrinkled!

Agree. Nothing worse than those 'al dente' green beans so favored by yankees! :)

Dave

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

Hey! I'm way up north in Oregon and I like mine cooked too!
    Don't like 'em frozen (taste like the plastic bag) and don't like them crunchy!

Maybe here it's a pioneer thing, huh? :)

Deanna

• pqtex
    11 years ago

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I think the beans were processed in a pressure COOKER not a pressure CANNER, which would not be proper procedure anyway.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I think the beans were processed in a pressure COOKER not a pressure CANNER, which would not be proper procedure anyway.

No you are reading it right. It was a Fagor. But some folks are using those for canning even tho they aren't approved for it. Their choice I guess. I suppose if they use the higher of the 2 pressures they are probably safe. But no guarantee.

It was the "1/2 quart jars" that threw me at first. Had trouble figuring out what those are and how one would know the time required. I assume the quart time was used.

Dave

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

They are not safe because that is NOT a canner. It is only meant to cook food in.
    Please, throw those jars out and learn from it. You need to buy a pressure CANNER before you try to process any more foods.
    We are talking about botulism being potentially in those jars. You cannot see, taste, or smell botulism. It grows in a sealed jar, in the absence of air. I personally know of an elderly lady that is still on a respirator after a year ago of eating improperly canned green beans.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Isn't a 1/2 quart a pint? A rose by any other name . . .

Carol

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"You need to buy a pressure CANNER before you try to process any more foods."

I don't guess you didn't read my OP. I have a pressure canner, which I re-preprocessed in! I said cooker in my follow up because canner always shows up as misspelled.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

"Isn't a 1/2 quart a pint? A rose by any other name . . . "

When we speak of veggies we say half quart. Liquor comes in pints! LOL

• macybaby
    11 years ago

Fagor does make some cookers that are large enough to can in and they are marketed as cooker/canners. If it will hold four quarts, it's big enough to use as a canner. And it is UL listed to be used as a canner, if anyone is wondering. I looked into it quite a bit before making the purchase.

I really like having the option of having a smaller canner for when I don't need to haul out one of the big ones. I also like having a stainless steel unit for cooking in.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

Without involving myself in the issue of whether or not the Fagor is acceptable as a canner, I'd like to point out that many products are marketed without regard to their actual suitability for the task. I take all manufacturer claims and labels with a large grain of salt, including Fagor's. (And I am a Fagor owner myself.)

The UL listing only certifies the vessel is safe for operation under pressure. It has no connection with processing standards for low-acid product.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Agree with Carol. Just because something calls itself something doesn't equate with it being tested or approved for use as such.

NCHFP nor any other recognized agency that I know of has never tested or approved Fagor for canning. And given it's pressure setting limitations and different venting methods I find its mechanics deviates too far from the guidelines for me to be comfortable with canning. Cooking with it is great but I'd not choose to use mine for canning.

But we each set our own comfort limits.

Dave

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Dave, I agree with "But we each set our own comfort limits."

I would have been comfortable canning in the Fagor except for leaving overnight.

I grew up eating WBC green beans and we always added some vinegar, so I like the taste. I add about 1/4 cup to a pint, 1/2 to a quart of each pressure canned container, and some salt. I'm not saying that is safe, but it fits my comfort limits.

I have canned in the Fagor before with a small batch, when I pull the jars out they are boiling and seal within a minute or so. I'm pretty sure that is hot enough!

Disclaimer: Other readers, please don't take this as advice, go by the approved methods!

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

Yes, I read the post. However, as a food preservation instructor , we do NOT suggest using a Fagor. They heat up too fast and cool down too fast to be considered safe for canning. They time it takes to both heat up and cool down is part of the safe processing time. That is not happening with the Fagor.
    Do as you wish, but we do not consider this safe.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Linda, I didn't realize the extra time was required.

• Linda_Lou
    11 years ago

I just want you to be safe. Those are things that books don't tell you.

• udwhody
    7 years ago

FAGOR Duo...cooker/canner..has all the instructions with the cooker/canner. All canning equipment came with the purchase.

• digdirt2
    7 years ago

"has all the instructions with the cooker/canner. All canning equipment came with the purchase."

It is very naive to believe that means it is safe to use for pressure canning. Manufacturers make all sorts of claims about their products but that doesn't mean the claims are accurate.

Dave

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm