Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robin_d

I made Senate Bean Soup per NCHFP Guides - Delish!!!

robin_d
14 years ago

Who else could possible appreciate my sense of accomplishment?

My entire family loves Senate Bean Soup, to the point where a ham dinner is more looked forward to for the soup afterward than the ham (we prefer this recipe.)

I wanted to can a bunch up, so here's what I did:

Bake two bone-in shank-portion hams. Cool, then remove/reserve most of the meat, leaving plenty clinging to the bones.

Make stock from the bones, skin, gristly bits of the ham, cooking until the meat on the bones is essentially tasteless, about 4 hours. I also cheat and add a pound of smoky bacon to the stock, since this wasn't a "real" smoked ham- this was Cook's ham, $0.99/lb. on sale. Strain, cool, and chill overnight.

Remove from refrigerator and remove the thick layer of fat from the top of the pot full of 'ham Jello'.

Heat until fully melted and filter, if desired, for a clearer broth. I use old pillowcases, linen napkins, etc. to filter.

Add water, if necessary, no equal approx. 9 to 10 quarts of ham broth. This is pretty rich broth; one good ham bone may be 'hammy' enough for you.

The NCHFP guidelines for soup require approx. 50/50 solids to broth ratio. I used my 10-qt stock pot with measurements on the inside to measure (approximately):

4-5 quarts of soaked and par-cooked (per NCHFP) Great Northern Beans

2-3 quarts cubed ham meat (small cubes)

1 quart of onions, chopped small

1 quart of celery, with leaves, chopped small

about 1/2c of chopped fresh parsley and a palm full of dried

3 peeled and chopped Russet Potatoes (optional) - I thought these might fall apart in canning and approximate the mashed potatoes added in the original recipe. They didn't fall apart, but were still nice in the soup.

Total of 9 quarts of solids.

Add veggies to ham broth, cook until tender. Add cooked beans and ham, bring to a boil for 5 minutes and fill jars and process according to NCHFP's Instructions.

This yielded one full canner load (18 pints) and a second of 9 pints - would have probably been 18, but my stepdaughter stopped by, took one whiff and decided she was starving. So we ate a bunch while the first batch was in the canner, plus we had it again for dinner. I sent some home with SD, too. I got 27 pints, but if I'd canned it all it probably would have been closer to 36.

I just ate the one jar that didn't seal, and it came out mighty close to the original in flavor. We will enjoy this soup immensely, and I hope you will too.

{{gwi:894510}}

Comments (11)

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

That looks fabulous...I have to try that myself. Love the shelves of canned goodies. I just showed it to my husband...I said...Look at all the canned goodies and he said...Wonder where they got that shelf...does that sound like a man?

• robin_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, it sure does!!!!

As for the shelving... someone was tossing it and I got it for free. :-)

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Robin, good for you. I can soups every year, I like to just grab a pint and at work I open the jar, stick it in the microwave and warm it up. I don't even need a bowl, and I just take the jar home for the dishwasher.

Michigan produces something like 80% of the nation's dried beans, so I need to make some bean soup this year, thanks for the reminder.

Annie

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I shared your link and post with a couple of friends and they are totally in awe of your stash. One is just starting to can after a long absence from doing it and the other is wanting to do some canning ...They are much encouraged looking at your stash.

• junelynn
    14 years ago

I have a ham bone in the freezer, a great idea to have on hand for the fall coming.

Your post brought back memories, as my DAD loved this kind of bean soup (navy beans I believe) and I vaguely remember my Mother cooking this kind of soup. Alas, she wasn't a canner, but you jars look beautiful! Very motivating to see!! I may try it soon when I get a pressure canner.

• robin_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My "stash" is a work in progress, Ruthie... that's just one wall. Lots of purchased stuff as well, and dry beans etc., but there's an entire (smaller) shelving stack with carrots and the last of last summer's pears and nectarines. This photo is another wall of my basement pantry, aka "The Doom Room", rofl!!!

{{gwi:890437}}

Today I made a big batch of chicken stock, tomorrow I make and can Chicken Soup. Hubby is getting accustomed to eating soup from a jar, Annie. :-)

Junelynn, isn't the leftover bone the best part of the ham? ;-)

• joy_unspeakable
    14 years ago

Robin - The bean soup sounds wonderful. And I love the pictures of your 'stash'. I hope to get my canning closet a little more full this year.

I love soup and would like to try to can some. I just haven't ventured out into canning those types of things yet. Last year was my first year canning - I canned lots of green beans, tomatoes, and salsa. And also put up lots of jam and pickles. I've been putting chicken bits and bones in the freezer, along with onion peels, etc, in hopes to make chicken stock. Just haven't got up the nerve to try it yet. Really don't know why I'm so nervous about canning stock.

But I really appreciate that you shared your whole process with us. It makes things easier for me to follow when I can compare notes along with the proper guidelines. Maybe you can give me some pointers on canning stock - I think I'm concerned that it will be too fatty and turn rancid.

Ruthie - I've also been following the threads of all the exciting things you've been putting up. I think I need to just step out and give the soups and stocks a try.

Keep up the good work.
    Happy Canning everyone!

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

Robin, your soup looks wonderful and one of my favs. In fact, I made a big pot on a cloudy day last week from a ham bone and some scraps of ham I'd put into the freezer. Not enough to can, but dinner and a couple of quarts to freeze again.

My 'recipe' which is really by feel and taste (little of this, little of that:)) doesn't have your potatoes, and I do add garlic.

• robin_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just started canning last year, and am surprised by how much I enjoy it.

Joy, stock is sooo simple to can. I make it the first day, strain and filter and chill it down and put it in the fridge - the next day I defat it, heat it up and can it. It's really simple.

NCHFP on Canning Meat Stock

Morz8, the spuds were an experiment that I may or may not do again. I do use garlic too, but forgot to list it, dangit! I see you are in WA also - whereabouts? I'm in Tacoma.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

Robin, I'm out here on the cloudy coast - Aberdeen Hoquiam area. I can see the fog laying over the ocean from my kitchen window....

• robin_d
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh wow, I envy your view! My kitchen window offers an expansive view of the side of my neighbor's house... :-P