Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Harvesting Black-Eyed Peas

Posted by organic_homesteader SC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 08 at 13:16

I use a lot of the dried black-eyed peas from the supermarket, I think they are my favorite food. I would like to grow them in my garden, but I don't know the best way to harvest and store them.

How do they get from being fresh peas on the bush to dried peas? Is the taste similar to dried peas when you cook the fresh ones? Would it be easier to just can the peas when they are fresh?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Harvesting Black-Eyed Peas

I shell the peas and lay them out in a tray until they are dry. Then I'll put them in the freezer for a few hours to kill any bugs and seal in a jar. Much easier than canning.

o

If you have the freezer room and want to try them fresh, try blanching and freezing them. Growing up, I only ate them fresh. Now that I have tried fresh & dried, I like them both ways. They taste a bit different - I think the fresh is the best. To harvest them fresh, you want to let the pods fill out before you pick them. If you want snaps, pick some when they are real young and thin. After shelling them, blanch them, and then put in quart freezer bags and freeze. Around here, most folks like to grow them in the fall since there doesn't seem to be as many bugs. Hope this helps.

o

We prefer ours dried. We just let them dry on the vine. Thresh them out of the shells in a bag and store in sealed jars. They keep for a year with no problems and have plenty to replant the following year. Do the same with crowders and pink-eye purple hulls.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here