Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beanz_box

Now What? got the corn still have the stalks

beanz_box
10 years ago

This is my first post and my first true garden in the valley of the sun and I worked hard for it. :) I had bermuda (need I say more?)
All started when my 5yr old little boy 'planted' (pushed in damp unprepared earth) pumpkin seeds last Halloween after carving.
Saw the first signs of life (or realized what I was looking at) and decided to add to it in Feb/March.- corn, cucumber, zucchini, romaine, pole and bush beans, carrots and watermelon a little later.
Corn put out nice ears after I hand pollinated.(i was a proud mama corn) And half were yummy- others I guess I waited too long to harvest or to eat because were starchy.
Now what do I do with the stalks? How should I proceed? pull them out?
Also my pole beans are beautiful, but because of the heat (i assume) are not putting out. My little bush beans gave me about 30. still putting out slowly. romaine is pretty much a goner. I have 10 pumpkin harvested and the poor little patch is still flowering although mostly trampled by the "BAD DOG" (who also dug up some carrots). What to do with pumpkin in June?- going to carve and set outside one nite I guess. Keep the neighbors guessing.
Anyway...What do I do now? I am over the zucchini. corn is done. Is it time to put other stuff in the ground? Do I just pull one out and put in another? Does the soil need a 'rest' or mending? I want to keep going with other plants but not sure how to proceed. Thank you for any and ALL advice.
p.s. anybody know how to carve zucchini into a canoe?

Comments (3)