Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just made chow chow have question

Posted by tracik (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 14:10

So, I made the chow chow recipe from the ball book. I doubled the recipe. I sure hope its good because I have never had it.

I had more juice than would fit in the jars. I made sure there was mustard seeds in each jar though for flavor. Is this ok that I wasn't able to use it all?

Thanks!

Traci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just made chow chow have question

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 15:41

How much was left over and how many jars did you get compared to what the recipe called for? Some small amount of left over liquid is ok but too much is usually a sign that the jars were over-filled with solids.

Doubling recipes when new to the process and working with a new recipe can often get the most experienced canner into trouble. Not to mention that you may not even like it so will have wasted the foods.

So avoid doubling recipes when possible.

The jars in your photo show very coarse chopped vegetables and chow-chow is normally more finely chopped (like a relish) so that difference alone may account for the left over liquids since your jars wouldn't hold as much solids when chopped coarsely.

Dave

o

I didn't know about the doubling until I read that other thread. UGH

I have never had chow chow so wasn't sure what it was suppose to look like, but the recipe just says chop it doesn't say how big or small.

It says it will make 4 pints so since I doubled it I should of got 8, but only got 7. It says packed , I didn't really pack it I just dropped it in and lightly mashed them down. Is this packed?

There was maybe 1/4 of the liquid left over.

Thanks so much for the help! I will get his eventually! lol

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 19:15

Yeah the mashing them down probably resulted in over-packing. That may be safe to do with a pickling recipe but not with many other things so it is a lesson to learn. Without that you would have easily gotten the 8 jars and much less left over brine. Next time balance the solids and liquid in the jars. It is always safer to have things too soupy than too dry as you get better heat penetration..

Some recipes assume you already know more than they should assume IMO but that is one of the things that comes with experience. So make notes on this recipe in case you find you like it - chop finer and don't over-pack the jars. :)

But I would advise you to stick with things you know you will like and skip the doubling recipes except with something you have already done in the past and know you'll like. Otherwise with untried things stick with 1/2 batches. Much less food and work wasted that way.

Also learn to taste before you jar things. If you don't like it going into the jar then you won't like it coming out of the jar either. :)

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here