Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Double Lemon Marmelade

Posted by junelynn 7NC (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 14:19

This is always so good! Very labor intensive, one has to be in the mood and have lemon balm on hand. It uses no pectin. I do not have access to Meyer Lemons, but this is still absolutely wonderful! Recipe follows photo.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Double Lemon Marmelade

4 cups fresh lemon balm, leaves and stems
(about 1 3/4 oz.)
4 1//2 Cups boiling water
6-8 Large Lemons
5 1/2 cups sugar

1.Place lemon balm in large bowl. Add the boiling water. Cover, let stand for 15 minutes. Drain well, RESERVING liquid. Measure 3 1/2 cups liquid. Discard Lemon Balm.
Wash Lemons. Using a knife, peel lemons, removing yellow portion and about 1/4 inch thickness of the white membranes of peel. Cut peel into very thin strips, about 1 1/2 inches long. (I made them smaller, about 1/2 inch long). Measure 3 cups peel. Set aside.
Remove and discard any remaining white portion fo peel from lemons. Section lemons, reserving fruit and juice; discard membranes and seeds. Chop lemon. Measure 1 1/2 cups lemon and juice; set aside. In a large saucepan combine peel and 4 cups water. Heat to boiling. Boil, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Drain; discard liquid. Cook and drain once more, using fresh water.
2. In same saucepan combine drained, peel, chopped lemon and juice, and the 3 1/2 cups reserved liquid. Heat to boiling; boil gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Measure 5 1/2 cups mixture. Pour mixture in an 8 or 10 quart Dutch Oven. Add sugar. Heat and stir still sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Boil hard, uncovered, about 25 minutes or till mixture sheets off a metal spoon or reaches about 220 on a jelly thermometer stirring to prevent sticking (my Dutch oven was stick free).

3. Ladle marmelade into hot, sterilized, half pint canning jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe jar rims, adjust lids. Process in a boiling-water canner for 5 minutes (start timing when water begins to boil). Remove jars from canner, cool on racks. Makes about 5 half-pints.

(The little bit I had after my initial 5 1/2 cups, I put in a jar and refrigerated it...had some this morning!! I only had two half-pints available....)

Lemon Balm grows like MINT, so be careful to keep it contained.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Double Lemon Marmelade

Oof... this does look like a lot of work, but it looks soooo good, I'm going to have to try it.

I love my lemon balm and am always looking for ways to work it in to things -- thanks so much for posting this!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here