Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
jelly??

Posted by tomva 7-central virginia (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 21, 11 at 14:31

When the recipe calls for adding jello,is this just for replacing pectin and what flavor jello should you add?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: jelly??

I wouldn't use Jell-o for jelly because it is animal protein, while pectin is fruit from citrus or apples. According to my notes, all animal products should be pressure canned, not boiling water bath canned, and you can't successfully pressure can jelly.

Think about this: they use gelatin in labs to grow bacteria cultures because it is so friendly to bacteria.

Where are you getting your recipes?

Nancy

o
RE: jelly??

There are a few jelly recipes around (NCHFP has one) that call for Jell-O but they generally get poor reviews for both quality and taste. But yes, it is a substitute for pectin.

The NCHFP recipes call for Strawberry Jell-O but I suppose you can use any flavor you want.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Jelly with Jello

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here