Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to do with potato spuds

Posted by juleeque arkansas (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 10, 12 at 14:37

After I have harvested some of my potatoes, I have little spuds left on the plant or ground. can these be sprouted? If so, can they be planted to reap another harvest? I bought them as starters from the feed & seed, so they are not organic. (although they were grown organic). thx juleeque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to do with potato spuds

From a similar question over on the Vegetable Gardening forum:

This referring to the small potatoes from the ground and NOT the green pods on the plants. Those are seed pods and are not edible. They are poisonous.

"Yes you can (with one restriction) providing you can effectively over-winter them without them rotting before planting time next spring.
The restriction is if you have any Late Blight this season in your garden. If so then do not use them next year as the fungus over-winters in that live potato tissue and spreads even worse next year."

It is way too late to plant seed potatoes now as they are a cool weather crop and will not tolerate the warm soil temps we have now without rotting before sprouting. If you are far enough south in Arkansas and deep into zone 7 then you can plant them this fall once the weather breaks around the middle of September.

I am assuming you are way south of me as potatoes up here aren't nearly ready to harvest. It will be another month before the plants die back and the potatoes cure enough to dig them.

Dave

o

we are in the south-western area. My yukon golds plants died back late last month, and for yukon golds, i had a good crop. I think these now are Kennebec and I have a few stems that have died back, but not all them. So the little potatoes are they just baby, immature potatoes? Do I do anything to them to get them to sprout? thx Julie

o

Yes they are just immature potatoes, still quite good to eat at that size but if you want to use them for fall planting then they need to be exposed to the sun for a couple of weeks before planting to get them to sprout.

This is all discussed in more detail over on the Vegetable Gardening forum here as Harvest forum is primarily devoted to canning and preserving.

Check out this article for all the basics: http://gardening.about.com/od/vegetables/p/Potatoes.htm

Dave

o

thx, i will check out the other vege page too

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here