Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bart1_gw

What to do with lots of oregano?

bart1
13 years ago

I harvested a lot of oregano a couple weeks ago which I am drying for storage. A couple of other plants are about ready to be cut down and I'm looking for some other way to preserve it.

Does anyone have any ways to store a large amount oregano in a different way?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• cabrita
    13 years ago

I have large amounts of oregano, since I use it as living mulch for my peppers, and sometimes it gets out of hand. I prune/harvest aggressively and make a large pot of tea, large as in gallons. Let the water boil, throw in the herbs and turn the heat off. Steep covered for about 20 minutes. Afterward, I strain it and use it in a bath, to relax sore muscles. This feels decadent, but to me it is a better use than the compost pile. The used herb (after I make the tea) also ends up in the compost pile anyway.

Besides drying it for herb oregano (in cooking) I have also made infused vinegars. However, this does not use that much, the hot muscle relaxing bath is the way I have found that uses lots of the herb!

If I had the equipment I would make oregano essential oil. This would require distillation equipment which is pricey and takes up some room. Has anyone here made essential oils?

• bart1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks!

I looked up oregano oil (the essential kind) and something I read said the essential oil was made from a different kind (species) of oregano than the cooking kind.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I've never made it, but what about Oregano Pesto?

This recipe was on the Learningherbs.com site:

Oregano Pesto

1 ¼ cups fresh oregano leaves
    ¼ cup fresh parsley
    1 clove garlic
    ¼ cup walnut meat, chopped
    ¼ cup walnut oil (I donÂt know where to get this, so IÂll probably substitute olive oil)
    ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated

Blend all ingredients except the cheese in a blender until smooth. Add parmesan cheese, and stir into hot pasta. She says, "This is a robust blend, so use it more sparingly than you would basil pesto."

Here's another version from deliciouslivingmag.com:

Oregano Pesto
    March, 2001

Makes 1/2 cup / Excellent spread on pasta, baked chicken or added to soup for an extra burst of flavor.

1/2 cup fresh oregano
    1/2 cup fresh basil
    2 tablespoons fresh parsley
    1/4 cup pistachio nuts
    2-4 cloves garlic, to taste
    3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan, Romano or Asiago cheese
    1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Place first 5 ingredients in blender or food processor and blend. Slowly add lemon juice and olive oil and blend until puréed.

2. Transfer mixture to medium bowl and stir in cheese; add salt to taste. Serve, or refrigerate for up to 5 days.

Bonnie

• skeip
    13 years ago

Oregano is one of the few herbs that is better dried than fresh. The drying intensifies the flavor. I always dry mine and use it all winter.

Rather than going the full Pesto route, couldn't you process just the leaves and then freeze it like we do with Basil?

Steve

• bejay9_10
    13 years ago

Since I found a great way to preserve garlic in olive oil, I've also tried chopping basil and other herbs fine, adding to olive oil and freezing in small size ice cube trays. Since most of these herbs go into spaghetti sauce or pizza, I should think oregano might also be preserved that way.

It is so handy having the oil and garlic in the fridge in cubes - for instance, when you want a quick add to something that is preserved that would be "unsafe" if the garlic was processed in the canning of it. (garlic being a low acid ingredient).

Bejay

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

I'm thankful for this thread, because it reminded me that it was time to harvest the oregano. Harvested a colander full today, which filled 5 trays in the dehydrator, which translated into almost 3 full jars ... and this was from just one plant! Bart1 mentioned having multiple plants, so I can see why he is looking for additional storage methods.

Bonnie

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Bart1, thanks for the information on the different types. The ones I grow are all culinary, I have three kinds: Greek (a crawler, good for living mulch and tasty) spicy oregano (grows more upright) and the Syrian, also called zaatar. I also have marjoram which is considered an oregano but to me the flavor and scent is completely different. I grew the zaatar from seed and the first two types from cuttings. I took a look at some of my beds last night, and just like Bonnie I need to harvest a bunch or oregano and marjoram, dry them for use in cooking, and possibly make a nice herbal bath as well. Looking forward to the weekend!

I do not use a dehydrator to dry my herbs because we have such low humidity here that it is not necessary. Just spreading the herbs on flat baskets does the trick here.

• highalttransplant
    13 years ago

Cabrita, we have extremely low humidity here as well, and I tried hanging them at first, but no matter where I put the bundles, I always ended up with a mess everywhere. Hadn't thought of baskets, but now that I have spent the money on the dehydrator, I feel like I should make use of it. I have some sage in there right now. Not as much as I would like, as the grasshoppers have already done some damage there, but probably enough to fill one jar.

Do you like the flavor of the Zaatar oregano? I wintersowed some this year, but the seedlings are still pretty tiny. Guess it will be next year before I get to taste any.

Bonnie

• bart1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I dry mine on pages of newspaper on the floor (in our dining room, which my wife just loves!!! ;-)

We're just outside of DC....ie, hot and humid, but with the oregano being inside in the AC, it dries out just fine. After a week or two of drying inside, they are ready to be striped from the stems. To do this I insert one (or a couple) stems into a paper grocery back and run the stems through my fingers and thumb and the dried leaves come flying off.

• dgkritch
    13 years ago

I toss my herbs (oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary) right into a paper bag. If the weather promises sunshine, I fold over the top of the bag and hang it outside on the clothesline. If rainy, I pin it up somewhere inside. Give the bag a shake now and then.
    When dry, crush it right through the bag. Open, pick out stems and pour the herbs into a bowl. Package/jar how you like.
    Easy. Quick. No cobwebs, critters or mess. THAT works for me!

It doesn't work well for moister items like basil though. I use my dehydrator for that!

Deanna
    (reminded that it's about time to crush that bag of thyme in the dining room)

• cabrita
    13 years ago

Bonnie, I will be harvesting the zaatar either later tonight or tomorrow. This will be the first year that I harvest, so when it dries and I taste it I'll post an opinion. I already got a big bunch or the greek.

Deanna I came back from harvesting a large basket of mixed herbs, and I will use your method, thanks for sharing! (I do have lots of baskets but they get used for harvesting a lot). I like that you can write in the bag what you have (so I can keep my oreganos straight...LOL)