Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have 25 lbs of peaches - and no clue what to do!

Posted by jennieboyer 8 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 14:45

All,

I have been given 25 lbs of peaches I need to do something with today or tomorrow (before I go back to work on Thursday). I don't know whether to can them, freeze them, jam them, syrup or not them, etc. I can find all kinds of recipes, but none of them are really helping me know what to do.

Here's my situation - I have a water bath canner and can do some that way. I have a freezer to put them in and can do some that way.

I do want to do some jam - either now or later. If later, do I freeze them now or can them now?

What is the best pie filling recipe (I don't want to form in pans now - just make the filling)?

If I can/freeze plain peaches, can they all be turned in to jam/pies later? Will freezing or canning work best for one or the other?

I think I'm leaning toward canning some in very light syrup, freezing some plain, and making some jam now. Will the light syrup ones be OK for jam later?

All thoughts/suggestions welcome! Thanks!

Jennie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have 25 lbs of peaches - and no clue what to do!

Just bumping this duplicate one down....don't post here.

o

Since you are working with a limited time frame I'd freeze them all now and then use them when you have time to make what you want. Just sugar pack them (see below) and they can be used for anything later. Easy and fast to do. Much faster and easier than trying to make jam and pie filling etc. in 2 days.

If you can them then you would be re-canning already canned food later and that is no efficient or recommended.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP-How to freeze peaches

o

Oops I picked the wrong one since your bump wasn't showing up yet.

Dave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here