Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennieboyer

25 lbs of peaches and no clue what to do!

jennieboyer
9 years ago

So sorry for the duplicate posting! I thought the first one didn't go through :-(

Hi All,

I have been given 25 lbs of peaches and can't decide what to do with them. I need to get them put up today or tomorrow. I know that I eventually want to do some jam and some pie filling but, other than that, don't have any ideas. I have done a lot of searches, and that is just making it more difficult to decide!

Is it better to can them or freeze them? If I freeze them, I do have a food saver - can I do them that way without a syrup?

If I can/freeze them in a super light syrup, will they be suitable for jam/pie filling later?

I am not really a peach eater, but am going to try to change that - is there a best way to put them up with that in mind?

All thoughts/suggestions appreciated.....

Jennie

This post was edited by jennieboyer on Tue, Jun 3, 14 at 15:02

Comments (10)

• shuffles_gw
    9 years ago

Freezing is easy. Just dip the fruit in an acid bath - citric acid, vitamin C or dilute lemon juice. We use a vitamin C solution. This prevents the flesh from turning brown.

• dgkritch
    9 years ago

I would probably can them in light syrup. If it's a matter of just getting them processed, I find it easier to just do one thing rather than to coordinate several recipes/ideas.

Yes, you could make jam later.

I might cut out any less-than-perfect spots and save 2-3 ripe ones and make a crisp or cobbler.

Eat a couple fresh or make a smoothie!

What a gift!!

Deanna

• balloonflower
    9 years ago

I have frozen peaches whole (skin on) with very good results so that I can pull them later for jam or syrup. I simply washed them, placed on a tray and froze. I then pulled and foodsavered them (freezing first kept them from being smooshed). When I am ready to use them, I simply pull and drop into the boiling water for a min to remove the skin, then while still frozen I can slice how I want.

• Slimy_Okra
    9 years ago

You lucky lucky thing! How can anyone not be a peach eater?! I wish I had your problem...

• annie1992
    9 years ago

I do both. I freeze part of them for pies and cobblers, and I can some because my kids and grandkids like canned peaches. I make peach/habanero jam for my husband and just plain peach for the kids and I always made peach syrup for my Dad's pancakes.

It's easy to freeze them, and also easy to can them, just a boiling water bath.

What a great problem to have.

Annie

• msmarieh
    9 years ago

So what did you end up making? :)

I will be canning about 75 pounds of peaches later this summer. I make peach jam, peach jelly (from the leftover peels), peach butter, peach slices in syrup, peach pie filling, peach chutney, peach lemonade concentrate (and other versions with mixed berries), fruit cocktail, and peach mustard, plus a few other yummy goodies.

Absolutely love them! :)

• jennieboyer
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up freezing all of them :-) Now I'm on the lookout for a great peach/blackberry jam recipe (given that I also have 30 lbs of blackberries in the freezer!)......

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

Jennie - I've done peach blackberry by using the peach recipe but subbing 1 cup of blackberries.

If you get any more fresh peaches, try grilling them. Cut in half, put on the grill about 1 minute per side. Just til they are warm and charred. Serve with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream in the pit hole.

• lucillle
    9 years ago

If I got 25 lbs of peaches I think I'd use Pixie-lou's idea but have a peaches n ice cream party for my friends with Blue Bell vanilla ice cream, and whipped cream, and vanilla wafers, with fresh coffee.

• ryseryse_2004
    9 years ago

I was not very happy with freezing them last year. If you don't eat the thawed ones right away, they turn brown.

This year I will try canning them.