Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teauteau

onion garlic recipe

teauteau
12 years ago

I know onion and garlic are low-acid and require additional acid to preserve with a water bath. With that said, what do you all think of this recipe I found on line as far as safety goes? Thanx in advance for your advice.

Carmelized Onion and Roasted Garlic Jelly

rec.food.preserving/Cynthia Kinsland (1996)

Scott McGowan of Rochester won 4th place at the New York State Fair with this recipe (which I found published in the Syracuse Post Standard).

2 large heads garlic

Olive oil

4 large onions (Spanish Sweet or Vidalia)

2/3 cup sugar

2 1/2 tablespoons butter

1 cup white vinegar

4 cups water

6 cups sugar

1 package powdered pectin

Cut top off each garlic head and drizzle with olive oil. Roast at 275 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Cool completely.

Caramelize onions: chop onions into small pieces (save half of 1 onion and cut into large slivers; set aside to be used later as a garnish). Place 2/3 cup sugar in a large skillet over medium heat and cook until melted; mix in butter until melted. Add onions and cook until coated by caramelizing mixture (onions should be soft and pierce easily with a fork). Caramelize large slivers and set aside.

Add garlic cloves from one head and simmer 5 minutes. Add vinegar and mix while still over medium heat; mix in 4 cups water and simmer 5 more minutes. Sieve mixture through a jellybag or cheesecloth, allowing to drip until all liquid is through.

Measure 5 cups of the garlic/onion liquid into a saucepan and add pectin. Bring to a full boil and add all the sugar at once. Cook at full rolling boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.

Remove from heat and ladle mixture into hot, sterilized jars. Garnish top of each jar with a large sliver of caramelized onion and a clove of roasted garlic.

Put lids on and process 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Store in a cool, dark place.

Comments (10)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

Honestly, there is no way to tell (barring testing). The fact that it won whatever category it did in whatever year (sometime prior to 1996) is no indication of safety as standards have changed and there's no way to know how the original recipe was developed.

However, in many ways this is a non-issue as it's a small-batch recipe easy to make any season of the year and could then be refrigerated.

Not everything needs to be processed and shelved.

Carol

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

It looks Ok other than the butter and the oil. If you will leave them out, then it should be fine. You have added acid and also a high sugar content to help preserve it.
    You can roast the garlic without oil. Then, if you cook the onions slowly in a skillet they will caramelize.

• teauteau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanx for the replies. I know that just because something wins an award doesn't mean it's safe. That's why I posed the question. Awards don't really mean anything as far as safety goes to me. Also, I know that everything doesn't have to be processed and shelved but that's what I like to do. I don't want to clutter up my fridge with a bunch of refrigerator things because I am by myself and most of it won't get eaten up right away anyway. ;o) I just wanted some opinions as some of you have a lot of experience. One of these days when I have some time, I'm going to take the Extension Service's Food Safety classes.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

In this case I suggested not canning because for myself the olive oil and butter add a really appealing unctuous smoothness to the condiment.

But I don't know any of us who haven't struggled with the choices that have to made in the refrigerator vs. freezer vs. shelf issue. Sometimes we go with the shelf because there just isn't enough fridge or freezer room.

Carol

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

You could always freeze it. Especially if you're worried about eating it up, freeze in small containers and take out what you need. No safety issues for sure and conveniently sized too!

Deanna

• teauteau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes Reading Lady, I agree. The butter and olive oil would definitely enhance it if only I had the means to preserve it safely but, I suppose I could do this in small batches to store in the fridge. Ok, I had a recipe for Mexican style pickled carrots. The recipe says to saute the sliced carrots in a little bit of olive oil for 5 minutes. I'm guessing that by using the olive oil, I would be making this a dangerous recipe because of the oil, right? I think that's what I've been getting from reading all the posts about safety here. I canned some carrots like this in the 5% acidic white vinegar with some herbs like oregano, bay leaf, pepper corns, split garlic clove and a jalapeno and they were delicious and now I realize they may be dangerous. Opinions? Thanx. I appreciate that you are sharing your knowledge.

Deanna, thanx for your comments about freezing.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

There are a couple of marinated pickle recipes that include some oil. But generally with those the oil is "floated" instead of sauteeing the veggies.

A couple of the issues you might keep in mind are potentially shorter shelf life (I did experience rancidity in the marinade in one batch) and also those pickled recipes with oil can be a seal problem. In other words, the oil floats up, gets under the seal, especially if there's any siphoning, and there you go.

Which is why I quit canning even the tested recipes.

But if you're interested, Colorado State and other Extension sites have a peppers marinated in oil recipe and Linda Ziedrich has a jardiniere and a gardiniara recipe in her book. I've made all of those and they're pretty good.

Carol

• teauteau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Carol. I will check out Colorado State. I will look at some of the other Extension sites too. OMG, that carrot escabeche was sooooo good. I couldn't believe how tasty and crisp the carrots were. It was better than what I was getting freshly made at a local restaurant. I was so impressed with my first try and then to realize, it was dangerous. Well, I did not stop to think the oil could prevent a seal! Yes, I can see that happening. So much to learn! Thanx again!

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

The reason that not all things are safe to can with oil is partly on how each particular vegetable will absorb the acid and vinegar. You will notice that the mushrooms are first simmered in bottled lemon juice to start the acidification process.
    Then, the recipes have bottled lemon juice since it is nearly 2 times as acidic as 5 % acidic vinegar.
    The marinated mushrooms are really wonderful. You can get the recipes from this link.
    There is also a safe 3 bean salad with oil in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: marinated mushrooms

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I was mentioning mainly issues of convenience, but to add to what Linda Lou says, remember that oil coats the vegetables, reducing penetration by the acid. In other words, oil "insulates" botulism spores which may reside in/on the veggies and increases the odds of serious safety issues.

You have to have a very high level of acidity to counterract the effects of the oil, which is why Linda Lou explained that in the case of the marinated mushrooms, they are acidified by simmering in the lemon juice then canned in the marinade, which is the opposite of simmering veggies in oil and then canning.

It's also why for canning we wouldn't consider any oil marinade recipe which hasn't been thoroughly tested.

Carol