Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled whole peppers, missing brine

Posted by IAmSupernova SE Texas 9A (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 15:56

I'm not really confused on where it went (I cut holes in the peppers and they were kind of on the hollow side) last night it was fine, but today there's about an inch or so worth of pepper above the brine level. Been sitting on the counter for about 16 hours at this point.

My question is, is this okay? Or should I open the jar and level it off with vinegar/water and treat the jar as if it didn't seal (put in the fridge and consume immediately)? Would that even be safe since it's been sitting out over night?

For the record I used a 50/50 mix of water to (5%) vinegar (and 2 tbsp pickling salt for 4 cups liquid). I poured the boiling brine over the uncooked peppers packed in the jar, used the poking stick to get out air (obviously didn't do enough) sealed the jars and processed them in a BWB for 10 minutes.

This post was edited by IAmSupernova on Thu, Jun 20, 13 at 16:00

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled whole peppers, missing brine

Are they floating? could you turn the jars over to help? I think the peppers that are sticking out wouldn't taste as good and maybe get wrinkly.

o

Normally it isn't recommended to open jars and "top off" the liquid. The food above the liquid tends to darken and discolor but is still considered safe to eat.

But then the approved recipes also call for much more vinegar than you used too - 4:1 or even 5:1 vinegar to water. While a 1:1 mix is the bare minimum allowed in pickling, the pH quickly rises due to the water in the peppers diluting the vinegar even more so long term shelf storage isn't recommended.

In this case, unless you are talking about many jars, I'd be inclined to to open the jar, top it off with more vinegar, and store in the fridge.

JMO. Your choice.

Dave

o

Nope just the 1 jar like that. It was my test jar, I got a bunch of peppers coming soon though.

I topped it off and will eat 'em up quick.

I tried finding a recipe for them on Ball's website but didn't see one. So I had to resort to google which gives you very mixed results. Everything from 50/50 to practically all vinegar. I'll make sure to use more vinegar in the future though.

EDIT: And yeah they were floating, but if I flip them upside down, they're still floating there was too much air in the jar. I also thought you couldn't store sealed jars upside down or on it's side? Or at least I read never to do that.

This post was edited by IAmSupernova on Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 16:29

o

NCHFP has the instructions for pickled peppers whole or in rings, mixed, sweet, or hot, roasted or plain. Or if you put 'pickled peppers' in this forum search you'll find several other recipe links too.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled hot peppers - NCHFP

o

Thanks I'll use that next time I go to make them.

o

• Posted by malna NJ 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 21, 13 at 17:33

Another thing you might try - this is what we did when pickled pepperoncini last year - is slit/poke the peppers and soak them in a bowl of vinegar overnight. Put a plate on top and weigh it down just enough to help press the air out and let the vinegar infuse the pepper cavity.

Then continue with the recipe. Helped with our "floating" peppers.

o

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely be using it as it bugs me to no end when there's food floating above the liquid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here