Houzz Logo Print
calm1_gw

Pepperoncin

calm1
13 years ago

I read this old thread,

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0912111321982.html?29

I am wondering if anyone has a safe method for preserving

pickled pepperoncinis. Does ksrogers method work?

Does adding pickle crisp & doing a conventional BWB keep them from getting mushy?

Thanks

Ed

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Kens method described in that thread works for him because he has special vacuuming equipment that he built. It pulls a much stronger vacuum than anything available to most of us.

But it isn't the preferred as in safety approved method. That would require at least minimal processing and for them to remain somewhat crispy after processing then yes, either pickle crisp or liming would be required just as with other pickles.

Personally I have never found pepper rings done as follows to be too mushy or at least no softer than those bought in the store. Whole peppers are a bit softer but still well within acceptable range IMO. Would suggest you first try a limited number to see if you find them ok before doing a large batch.

Pickled Pepperoncini (don't know the original source)

50-60 medium pod peppers
    Vinegar 6 cups
    1 1/2 cups water
    Sugar 1.5 T
    Pickling Salt 3 tsp.
    Pickle Crisp

Wash jars and submerge in hot water to keep warm. Simmer lids in hot water. Combine vinegar, water, sugar, and salt in saucepan and heat to simmer. Prepare peppers by cutting a slash or 2 in each pod if leaving whole or slice into 1/2 inch slices. Place peppers in simmering liquid and if left whole, mash them slightly to fill them with juice. Simmer for 3-5 minutes until slightly softened. Fill jars with peppers and add 1/2 teaspoon Ball Pickle Crisp to top of each jar. Fill jars with the liquid mix to within 1/2 inch of top. Remove air bubbles and install lids and rings on jars and process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.

Yield 6 pints.

Hope this helps.

Dave

• calm1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dave
    I also have a very nice vacuum pump system that I use for all sorts of things. However, as far as preserving something like these I would much rather use your method. Better safe than sorry!! Plus I would think "canned" would last a lot longer.
    Thanks
    Ed

• calm1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Dave,
    Something I just noticed in ksrogers is that he says the vacuum boils the brine. I believe it is the opposite, pull a vacuum on a liquid & it gets colder. Yes it does "boil" but that is at room temp. What's happening is the oxygen in being pulled out of the liquid, AKA boiling because of the lower air pressure. So the best his method does is force the brine into the meat of the peppers.
    Thanks
    Ed

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Ken was inclined to experiment. He was very clear that his methods were unique to him. He was describing not necessarily recommending.

You might follow Dave's suggestion with the Pickle Crisp and a small batch and see how you like the results. Then if you have issues post again and maybe someone will have a suggestion.

Carol