Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe for chow chow

Posted by garden_fool zone 9 TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 16:02

My mother used to make chow chow but we can't find the recipe. She used green tomatoes, bell peppers, and onions and vinegar and possibly sugar. It didn't have cabbage and all of that other stuff. Any help is appreciated

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe for chow chow

I just bought some stuff to make this. I'm wondering how do you eat it? As a side dish?

The recipe I'm going to use is the one from the ball book it has the cabbage in it.

o

I think it is like hot relish or chutney. Eat it on burgers, hot dogs, in potato salad, in barbeque sauce, on leftover chicken slices in sandwiches, mixed with olive oil for salad dressing, and even over cream cheese with crackers, besides using it as a side dish with a strong flavored meat like steak, ribs, or roast. One customer of mine uses it as a diet aid. She gets hungry and takes a bite instead of sweets - I think it heightens all the flavor buds in your tongue so you are satisfied that you have eaten something because your saliva glands are singing.
Nancy

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 20:47

There are probably 100 different recipes around that folks have labeled chow-chow but the one thing most all of them have in common is straight undiluted vinegar. As long as you use that as your brine you can include almost any vegetables you want or leave out any you don't want.

For example:

Green Tomato Chow Chow

1 dozen green tomatoes, cored and quartered or coarsely chopped
3 medium green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium yellow peppers, seeded and chopped
3 medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup fresh jalapenos, stemmed and chopped (optional)
1/2 cup sugar (brown or white) optional or sweeten to taste
Spices: mustard seed, celery seed, red pepper flacks, cinnamon (optional
1 quart 5% vinegar (cider or white)

Mix and heat all to boiling, Reduce heat and simmer for 5 mins to allow flavors to blend. Fill pint jars, cap and seal.

Process pints for 10 min. in BWB.

Dave

Edited to add the cooking instructions sorry.

This post was edited by digdirt on Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 20:49

o

The shredded kind, sort of sweet like a bread and butter relish, is good with a bowl of pinto beans and cornbread in the fall and winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here