Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pickled tomatoes

Posted by tracik (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:03

Are there any other approved recipes beside the ball book and the National center for home food?

I am looking for a recipe for pickled tomatoes. Like the kind you can buy if you are lucky to find them. We love to eat those with fried fish.

Last year I tried the recipe from ball book dilled green tomatoes page 54 and they are so dilly and vinegary I ended up throwing all of them out. What a waste!! I am wanting something that would be similar to this recipe. I don't want sweet or spiced or cabbage in it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pickled tomatoes

I found a place where you can get four different recipes so you can pick the one you want or mix them. www.gardenbetty.com\2011\08\four-ways-to-pickled-green-tomatoes

o

Thanks so much! I will check it out.

o

• Posted by digdirt 6b-7a North AR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 20, 14 at 20:36

Checked out those recipes and they meet the minimum safe requirements for use. A bit more vinegar than water would be better as the 1:1 is the minimum. But since they are green tomatoes and are a bit more acidic it is safe.

It can be difficult to try to match store-bought brand flavors with anything but if you have a particular brand name in mind someone here can usually come up with a close recipe.

But if you don't want spiced or sweet what dominant flavor are you after? Look at all the other Vegetable Pickle recipes at NCHFP for ideas as green tomatoes can often be substituted for the vegetable in those recipes too.

Dave

o

LOL Dave, I don't know!! I guess more dilled? By spiced I mean cinnamon, nutmeg etc.

I will look at some of those recipes. Thanks for the idea!

I still have LOTS to learn!

o

Adding a tiny bit of sugar can decrease the tang of the vinegar too. Not enough to make them sweet, but just to offset the vinegar and "green-ness" of the tomatoes.
No safety issues with adding a little sugar.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here