Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wertach2

Rejuvenate an old canner hint!

I have one canner that holds 5 quarts that I've been using for years. I have so many beans and things to can this year. I decided to dig out my old canner that holds 9 or 10, I can't remember. It is at least 25 years old, Presto brand.

It has been in my storage building for at least 10 years. I haven't needed it. With our drought I haven't had so much stuff at one time.

First thing.... the lid wouldn't come off. I got a bright idea, I put it in the dishwasher after removing the top rack, since it wouldn't fit.

After the cycle, the lid came off with a lot of muscle. I put it back in with the gasket separated so that it would get clean and ran another cycle.

Everything looked good, so time for a test run. The gasket wouldn't seal. I called the local places that sell canners and parts, no luck. Went online and found one, ordered it. Then I got an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks!

Another brain storm.... I put a pot of water on and brought it to a boil, removed it from the burner and put the gasket in with a lid for an hour or so.

I did another test run and it sealed! I will be canning in it tonight!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs