Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rejuvenate an old canner hint!

Posted by wertach 7b SC (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 16:07

I have one canner that holds 5 quarts that I've been using for years. I have so many beans and things to can this year. I decided to dig out my old canner that holds 9 or 10, I can't remember. It is at least 25 years old, Presto brand.

It has been in my storage building for at least 10 years. I haven't needed it. With our drought I haven't had so much stuff at one time.

First thing.... the lid wouldn't come off. I got a bright idea, I put it in the dishwasher after removing the top rack, since it wouldn't fit.

After the cycle, the lid came off with a lot of muscle. I put it back in with the gasket separated so that it would get clean and ran another cycle.

Everything looked good, so time for a test run. The gasket wouldn't seal. I called the local places that sell canners and parts, no luck. Went online and found one, ordered it. Then I got an estimated delivery time of 2 weeks!

Another brain storm.... I put a pot of water on and brought it to a boil, removed it from the burner and put the gasket in with a lid for an hour or so.

I did another test run and it sealed! I will be canning in it tonight!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rejuvenate an old canner hint!

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 16:39

Where there's a will, there's a way! Really, I'm so glad you got it all working and didn't give up on it like some people would have. I can just see your smile of satisfaction from here. Happy canning!

o

• Posted by bcskye 5 Brn.Co., IN (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 16:39

Where there's a will, there's a way! Really, I'm so glad you got it all working and didn't give up on it like some people would have. I can just see your smile of satisfaction from here. Happy canning!

o

I'm way past bedtime and on my 3rd. batch! Life is good when you are doing things like this!

o

If you need a manual for your canner, here's a link where you can download the Presto manual in pdf format. Just need the model number.

Here is a link that might be useful: Instruction Manual Download

o

Thanks TX but mine isn't listed there. It is a 0171003 and holds 7 quarts, not 9 or 10 like I thought. LOL I think the 01745 is the same though.

o

Is it a weighted or dial gauge?
If a dial, you really should have the gauge tested each year. Just getting bumped around can cause them to be knocked out of calibration.
You want to make sure you're really processing at the correct pressure.
Most extension offices offer the testing for free.

If it's a weighted one, no worries!

Getting that lid off is determination if I've ever seen it!
Good job!

Deanna

o

It's a weighted one,no worries!:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here