Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Corum cherries! What would you make?

dgkritch
14 years ago

I just bought 10# of fresh Corum cherries ($1.25/#). They're very similiar to Royal Annes (common pollinator for them).

I have tons of jam so I'm looking for something else....

I might try some maraschino cherries (anyone have an easy recipe???), but I don't need 10# of those!!

Other ideas?

Deanna

Comments (26)

• readinglady
    14 years ago

Don't you love it this time of year when so many wonderful fruits are getting ripe?

Here's the Oregon State document on maraschino cherries. I have made these several times. There's lots of extra syrup but it's so good in desserts I don't mind.

One Christmas I came up with a maraschino cherry fudge using these. That was a popular choice.

On my notes I used 8 1/2 cups of sugar and 1/2 cup corn syrup (to prevent crystallization). I cut the almond flavor (I used real natural almond) to 1 tablespoon. I thought the cherry flavor came through better.

This is the only recipe where I use food color. I figure given the few maraschino cherries I ingest in a lifetime it's not a big risk, LOL.

On my notes I have the thought that at some future point I might try adding 1/2-1 tsp. natural raspberry or cherry extract and just a couple of drops of rose extract. Should be interesting but I haven't gotten around to it.

These maraschinos blow the commercial ones out of the water; however, as OSU says, they are definitely softer. I suppose pickle crisp could be used to reduce that but I don't bother.

Also, Ellie Topp has a fruit in liqueurs recipe and I've followed her formula for cherries in brandy syrup. It's not as powerfully alcoholic as many traditional brandied fruit recipes, which is what I like about it.

Well, I just finished weeding the garden and now I have to go out and buy a new trash can. It's just one exciting thing after another around here!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU Extension Maraschino Cherries

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I have made the cherries before. They are softer, but were really good. My daughter loved them. Save the liquid, add to 7Up for a great drink, too.
    Also, I would make pie filling !! You can also cut down on the Clear jel and make it a glaze for icecream, pound cake, or cheesecake. Would be a lovely thing to have on hand.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Carol, your "excitement" sounds like mine!! LOL
    I'll check out the OSU link, thanks!

Linda Lou, did you make the ones from Carol's link?
    Pie filling is a good idea. It would be handy when I forget about church potluck or something!! Do you freeze or can yours?

Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I used pickling lime in the cherries. I would try the one from OSU, as they would probably soak in the sugar, like when I make sweet pickle chunks. Lime is nasty stuff.
    I may also add some calcium chloride to each jar.
    I can my pie filling with Clear jel. Since it isn't frozen, it can be just used immediately.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One more question....
    Have you sweetened your pie filling with Splenda?

I'd love to try that!

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Bickford Flavors makes a maraschino flavor.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    14 years ago

Well, I lurk here but I am not a canner of things, nor an eater of hardly anything canned. I like em fresh, frozen or fermented.

Pies are good, but Splenda has a terrible flavor to me. I would use Agave Nectar instead (whole foods has it). That is 100% natural, 4 x sweeter than sugar so you use less, and NO off-putting taste!

Below I am recommending a wine recipe for those cherries. Don't worry about all that sugar. The yeast eats it and turns it to alcohol.

We just picked 8 lbs of cherries fresh at one of those U Pick It places. I am now in the process of crushing them with the bottom of a flat glass. If I was you, I'd make some wine with my 10 lbs of cherries. Here's a recipe.
    Cherry Wine (4)
    Â 8 lbs sweet eating cherries
    Â 3-1/2 lbs sugar
    Â 1-1/2 tsp citric acid
    Â 1/2 tsp tannin
    Â 1 tsp pectic enzyme
    Â 7-1/4 pts water
    Â 1 tsp yeast nutrient
    Â Port wine yeast or (lalvin K1-1116)
    Bring water to boil. Meanwhile, destem, wash and crush the cherries in the primary (a big stainless or plastic pot) without breaking any stones. Pour sugar over cherries. Pour the boiling water over the sugar and cherries and stir well to dissolve. Cover with a cloth anchored with clothes pins, and set aside until cool. Add remaining ingredients except yeast, cover and set aside for 12 hours. Add activated yeast and ferment 5 days. Strain juice into a secondary (a different pot) and discard pulp and stones. Rack after 30 days and again when wine clears. After two additional months stabilize, sweeten if required, wait 10 days, rack (pour carefully avoiding the junk in the bottom of the pot) into bottles, and store in dark place. [Adapted from Leo Zanelli's Home Winemaking from A to Z]

Good luck with whatever you choose to make!
    Suzi

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I'd forgotten about wine. Our recipe was just cherries, sugar, "cool water" and time.

Carol

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ooohhhhhhh! Wine is a good idea too!!! I've got Dandelion wine bubblin' on the dining table right now!!

Carol, where have you found clear jel this year??? (IF you have).

I can't find the darned stuff anywhere in town and the extension office is closed on Fridays here. I don't know if they still even sell it!

Aaarrrghghhh.
    10# of cherries in the fridge.......I've got to do something! I may end up just canning them and making pie later!

Deanna

• readinglady
    14 years ago

There's nothing wrong with canning sweet cherries in light syrup. Pretty versatile, really. I have pitted and frozen them too, but for some reason I don't find that as "optimal" as freezing pie cherries. For me it's canning for sweet, freezing for sour.

Originally I bought ClearJel in Portland at the Decorette (cake and candy supplies) Shop. They have two stores in the area. But of course that doesn't do you much good. They only sell in #1 bags anyway.

Now I order from the Blue Chip Group in Utah. Last time their bulk prices, even with shipping, were very competitive and I ordered "a gob," figuring I might as well get enough to last me. I may have over-ordered, LOL. There'll probably be some left for my estate!

Again, though, that doesn't take care of the immediate problem. If you want some, can't find it and don't mind a bit of a delay, I'll be happy to send you some of mine.

P.S. If you ever get your hands on Instant ClearJel (flour can substitute) King Arthur Flour has a recipe for
    Cinnamon-Apple Twist Bread that uses it.

Cinnamon Apple Twist Bread

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Chip Group ClearJel

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I have not tried canning the pie filling with Splenda. I have a hard enough time eating cherries by themselves with all the carbs. Strawberries like me better. So, I can the pie filling for my family, friends, for gifts, and company. I canned strawberry filling this year. Just a few jars. So good. Very light tasting.
    I have Clear Jel, but costs so much to ship the stuff. I am going to sell mine at the canning classes as I teach them, if possible.
    We have not gotten the OK to sell through the extension office. You have to get permission, then charge tax,etc. What a bother.
    I get instant Clear jel from Barry Farm. I order online.
    Wonder what the Decorette shop charges for Clear Jel. You can get it at Wilco here, both types, but it is spendy stuff. Think near $6 a lb.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I haven't looked at their prices lately. I only go there once-in-a-while to stock up and last time the only thing I was focused on was Callebaut chocolate.

They do have a website (of sorts). It gives a toll-free number. I've talked to them on the phone and they were very helpful.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Decorette Shop

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I found it at our Cash & Carry store, but only in a 25# bag!
    My goodness, my grandkids would be using it up!!

I am going to stop and check the price though and maybe find some local people who want to share a bag!

For now, I finally found a bakery that is going to sell me some! I think I called about 10 places and no one carries it.

Linda Lou, is it because some laws have changed that the extension can't sell it? I know I bought it there years ago, but it's been.......ummmm.....probably 10 years, at least!!

I think I'll do a few pints of filling, maybe some 1/2 pints of maraschino, some Cherry Bounce and dry a few. That should use up this batch!

Thanks for all the help! I'll be ordering from Barry Farms if I don't buy "THE BIG BAG"!!

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

If you find an 'off' aftertaste when using Splenda as the sweetener for jellies, the aftertaste can be reduced by adding a little granulated acid blend when making the jelly. I do this even with artificially sweetened beverages. The acid seems to brighten the flavors.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ken,
    IF my pie filling has an aftertaste when I open it, do you think I could add the acid blend at that time, but before making my pie? Only did 3 quarts so it's a good sized "experiment" with the Splenda. Won't be the end of the world if they're awful.

Just an FYI on the Clearjel... It's right at $40 for the 25# bag and it doesn't say "instant" on it. I'm still considering...

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Yes, the acid blend can be mixed in at any time. For 3 quarts, I would try a 1/4 teaspoon or less in just on quart, mix it a little, let it set a few minutes and then mix and taste. You may find it needs a bit more acid blend. I added some to my Smuckers sugar free tastless strawberry jam and it brought it new life. Odd, there was not even a single strawberry in that, so I guess it was just strawberry flavor and red color. Thats a LOT of Clear Jel!! they do sell it by the pound too. The instant (no cooking needed) one is great for adding to creamed cheese for a no bake cheese cake. The price per pound at 25 pounds is only about $1.75 with shipping costs included. Kitchen Kafts also sells a different type that they offer as regular or instant. Then there is a dutch type too.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I found it online at several places for about $4-6/lb.
    But....shipping was around $8!!! Sheesh!

Good to know I can add the acid blend later.
    The jars are beautiful! If a little "bright"! LOL
    Yes, I used a little food coloring because they are a light colored cherry and I wanted that "Cherry Pie" look to it.
    I'll try to post pics later when I get my Maraschinos in the jars (tonight or tomorrow AM).

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Do you eat Cherry Garcia Ben&Jerry's ice cream? Some time ago, they changed to a different cherry and now they look a bit brown color in the ice cream. Not sure, but they may have either changed to a different type, or they are not using any food color anymore. Maraschinos like most, need to be carefully pitted. There are some single pitters, as well as one that can do 6 cherries in one stroke. I planted a small cherry tree last spring and it had a few blossoms this year. I don't exepct many, but will see how they do. Its Montmorency type sour cherries used for jams and pies.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Deanna,
    I sent you an email about Clear Jel. Did you get it ??
    See you also like to quilt. Me,too !

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda Lou, I sent you one back!! Did you get it?? LOL
    Yes, I quilt, still have lots to learn...patience isn't my strong point!! It's my "winter thing", I don't really quilt in the summer.

Here's the 'after' pic of my cherry adventures.

Maraschino and extra juice, pie filling and "Bounce" in the gallon jar in back. The other big pot with towel over it has Dandelion wine 'working' in it!

The roosters are just something the my Step MIL brought me on Saturday. Nice photo shot, but don't really need 4 "Made in China" dust collectors! Oh well, the thought was nice....I think....(you'd have to know my MIL...). LOL

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Deanna

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Making wine by using a towel covered vessel to prevent contamination is not going to work well. Unless you have had a lot of experience making wines before, with your method, you may want to consider using a narrow opening bottle and a water trap to prevent any possible air from entering while fermentation is going on.

The cherries good look great! I see some pickled things there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: air lock for wine fermentation

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Deanna, I made some dandelion wine once in a crock and covered with a towel, just like that. It was a very old recipe and I don't remember if it even tasted like wine, just that it was very, very sweet. cherry Bounce? Aunt Ellen used to make that, it was just cherries, sugar and vodka, if I remember correctly?

I've had Carol's maraschino cherries, I used the gift jar she gave me at Christmas that year and they were beautiful and delicious in candy.

The sweet cherries will be ready here in about a week, we get predominately the big black Bing variety. I always make a few jars of brandied cherries for Amanda's favorite candy and because my mother likes to put a couple along with some of the brandy/juice into the bottom of a glass of white wine.

Elery says we're going to use some to make wine this year, he has all the gadgets and bottles and the thingy to put the cork in. I guess I'll be picking and pitting cherries.

Annie

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This recipe is also from 1915 for the Dandelion wine.
    Figured I'd give it a try....supplies were cheap! LOL

I used the Oregon State Recipe Carol linked to as well. They are good! I'm not a huge maraschino fan, but thought they'd be good in fruitcakes, drinks, muffins, etc. later.

The cherry bounce is just cherries, sugar and RUM. A little twist. Maybe it's not "bounce" anymore, but it's what I'm making!! Anybody wanna name it??? :-)

Cherries are a PITA for the most part to me. By 9pm last night I was wondering why I bought them! LOL. I think I'll just eat 'em fresh and maybe some bounce....that's easy!!

Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

Deanna,
    I just got your message. I also only quilt in winter. Too much to do this time of year. I am a newbie quilter. Self taught from reading online. I have made probably 7 quilts so far.
    I don't think I will preserve any cherries this year. I have some sweet ones canned from last year. My husband won't eat them canned. He hardly eats fresh ones.
    We planted 2 blueberry bushes this past week. So, will be a few years before I have any of my own. I hope to get a bunch again this year. I got free ones from a friend last year. I try to not pay for things if possible.
    Ok, I have to get things done for my class tomorrow.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

LindaLou, I'm with you, I try not to pay for things I can grow myself or trade for, and I'll pick my own at the u-pick way before I'll pay the extra to have someone else pick them!

Deanna, I'd call that Cherry Splat. Because that's what I'd do if I ate the cherries or drank the juice, I'd just fall over and go "splat". LOLOLOL

Annie

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's good Annie! Maybe I will! Or Cherry Thud.

I hate paying too, but sometimes I do. I don't enough space fenced off or the time to grow some things. But I buy local and trade when I can!!

These cherries came from a couple with a few fruit trees just trying to make a few extra bucks. I like that!
    They've got apples too, so hope to connect again this fall.
    NO middleman!!!!

Deanna