Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fat in meat soup

Posted by jill2761 southeast Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 12 at 16:23

How much is too much?

I canned 3 quarts of beef and onion soup, strictly following NCHFP meat soup guidelines, including skimming the fat. Followed instructions for canning the product with 50% solids to 50% liquid proportion. All jars sealed properly.

The soup (more of a soup base) contains evenly cut small pieces of roast beef (cooked in crockpot), onions, meat stock, seasonings.

Apparently I didn't skim enough of the fat off because there is more fat than usual. There is an uneven line of fat (between 1/16" to 1/4") along the edge of the soup, but not covering the center of the jar.

Is this something to worry about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fat in meat soup

Not really. The goal is to get as much as possible but it is impossible to get all of it out. The easiest way I have found is to let it sit in the fridge overnight to solidify and then remove it.

As long as the jars were properly processed for the full 75 mins. and the seals are good they will be fine.

Dave

o

Thanks for the reply.

I did cool it all in the refrigerator overnight before removing the fat, but maybe because the onions were in the broth with the meat, it stopped all of the fat from rising to the top. At any rate, it was more than I expected to see, based on prior soups I've canned.

Thanks for the reassurance. It helps. :-)

Jill

o

There will always be *some* fat. Your soup will be just fine :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here