Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potato plants

Posted by chartim 7A (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 16:28

What is the best plant indicator that your potatoes are ready to dig? I have Red Pontiac 80 to 100 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potato plants

If you check over on the Vegetable Gardening forum your find several discussions about this if you want more info.

That said, potatoes are ready to be dug 6-10 days after the tops die off. The plants will turn brown, fall over, and die. Wait a few days (unless heavy rains are forecast as you don't want them to rot in the ground) and then dig them up. Allow them to dry well out of the direct sun for several days before washing and storing them.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: When to dig potatoes

o

Thanks Dave

o

Mine are slowly getting there so the above is absolutely correct.........when the vines die back.......time to eat.....I planted some yukon gold from the grocery store and they are absolutely beautiful. I dug the first plant to wilt just to see how they were.....

o

Any suggestions for best short season new potato types? I'm thinking about planting in the fall for some little fresh eating potatoes. I thought I might try some fingerlings and maybe some reds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here