Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dilly bean tips: hot pack was tricky!

Posted by got_bullmastiff (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 16:30

Hi All,

I made dilly beans for the first time today and I gotta tell you, trying to pack those hot beans into the jars was not pleasant. Anyone have any tips on how to get them in there? I would have had no problem if they were raw pack, but the BBB I have says to hot pack them. (I could have sworn we raw packed them in the Cooperative ext class I took a few years ago)

I tried tongs and holding the jar on it's side but it was hard to get them to stand up.. I ended up putting all the hot beans in a clean bowl and putting them in by hand one by one. Holy hannah that was hot.. but I was afraid they would get over cooked in the hot brine considering how long it was taking me to get them in there.

In the end, I found the whole process to be not worth the effort, but I'd be willing to try again if I can get some tips from ya'll on how to pack hot skinny green beans.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dilly bean tips: hot pack was tricky!

Uhhh the beans aren't supposed to be hot in my BBB, just the brine is heated and then poured over the beans which are packed into hot jars. Maybe you mis-read?

Use this set of instructions from NCHFP.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Dilled Greed Beans

o

Greed Beans

I like that Dave. They are darned good and Freudian slip or not, it fits.

I lay the jar on the side and fill with the raw beans then turn upright and pour over the hot brine. I get a nice-looking pack with a lot less effort.

Just be sure not to cram too many beans into one jar. You want the brine to circulate around.

Carol

o

Seriously? seriously.. **checks book**

Ok.. I have the "Complete Book of Home Preserving" by Ball. Dilled Beans recipe: page 308

Step 2:
combine salt, vinegar and water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Stirring to dissolve salt. Add green and yellow beans and red peppers. Return to a boil. Remove from heat.

Well I'm glad I only did 2 jars. Processing time was 10 minutes. Would raw pack go for 20 minutes?

o

erf.. never mind.. I see the NCHFP recipe says 10... darn.. wish I saw that one before I did all that (annoying) work

o

I raw pack and process per the NCHFP standard. Pre-heating the beans in the brine and then processing for that long sounds like a recipe for limp pickles to me.

o

It did seem really odd to me.. but I followed the book because .. well I am always hesitant to vary from the published materials.

o

If I were making that recipe (and it does sound good) I'd follow the recommendation for cut beans and just pour them into the jar willy-nilly. They'd taste just as good at service.

I think the problem is trying to use that recipe for whole beans and trying to achieve an attractive pack.

Carol

o

Could you sub pickling spice or dried dill for the fresh dill in the NCHFP recipe?

o

You can always sub dried for fresh herbs and seasonings but the problem is the measurement - they are totally different amounts. How much dried would you use?

Dave

o

Thanks Dave. I am just trying to learn what CAN be changed since so many things are different. I bought a new book last year, but I was looking back at an old one. Thanks for always being so helpful.

o

A standard substitution for a head of fresh dill is a tsp of dill seed, rather than dried dill leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here