Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coffee or Tea? Also, why BWB vinegar?

Posted by got_bullmastiff (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 16:35

I feel like these should be a no brainers... but yet, I hesitate.

You know those herb jelly recipes? Any reason I couldn't make a tea or coffee jelly? I would imagine tea (oolong, earl grey etc) would be fine with the added lemon juice.. since it's kinda the same thing as an herbal infusion, but coffee? It's acidic but not sure how acidic and adding lemon juice or vinegar might make it taste wierd(er). Obviously, no cream added

And while we are talking about vinegar, why does the BBB recommend BWB canning flavored vinegars? It seems like overkill to me.

I know these seem like silly questions, but I would totally eat coffee jelly.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coffee or Tea? Also, why BWB vinegar?

Can't help you with the coffee or tea question. Can't even imagine it, sorry. But why BWB flavored vinegar - to create a vacuum seal on the container and so increase shelf storage life. No vacuum seal means faster degradation just as happens after you open it.

Dave

o

Coffee has a pH of 5.0 so definitely some form of acid would be needed.

I suppose you could make a jelly with a natural coffee extract. I'm not sure how you would use it, though.

Carol

o

Thanks.. I know it sounds like a weird thing. Thanks for the info.

with vinegars, I was just thinking about safety and totally forgot about quality!

Thanks!

o

What is the process for canning vinegar?
Tim thx

o

I hope this does not double post.
What is the procedure for canning vinegar?
Thx
Tim

o

Please, do not try canning coffee or tea jelly. There used to be some herbal tea jelly recipes, but I don't have them on file.
They would not be the same as regular tea or coffee, that I can see. I would think herbal teas could be of a different ph level than the others.
I do know canning regular tea is unsafe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here