Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cippolini Onions - how to preserve

Posted by pam_chesbay VA 8a/7b (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 16:46

This is my first year to grow onions. I'm surprised and gratified to have a bumper crop. In fact, I probably have an onion glut. In addition to red, white and yellow storage onions, I planted Red Marble and Borettana Cippolini onions (purchased from Dixondale).

I plan to store some of the storage onions in net bags, chop and freeze the rest.

My question relates to storing the cippolinis.

Do you suggest storing them in net bags? Can you freeze them whole? (does the quality suffer?) Do you make relish from onions? Pickles?

When I planted these little guys, I had NO IDEA they would grow so well.

Many thanks for advice and suggestions.
Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cippolini Onions - how to preserve

Never grown them personally but from all I have read they are primarily used for fresh eating and cooking. And like most the sweeter varieties they don't store or hold up well to preserving. So I'd think chopping and freezing in measured amount would be the best method. It would retain most of the flavor and can be used in any cooking recipe calling for onions.

I did find a couple of recipes for pickling them if pickled onions appeal to you and you can always caramelize them and freeze them for a different taste.

Dave

o

I canned some sweet onions, sliced and gently cooked til translucent, then added the onion water, then processed. They were good for a few months, only good for soups and such tho.

o

Dave, myfamily -

Thanks for the suggestions. The plants came from Dixondale - their site says cippolinis store for about 5 months - longer than I would expect.

When I looked for info about preparing cippolinis, I found so many recipes with rave reviews. The recipes generally involved braising with liquids like balsamic and/or wine, or glazed and served with Asiago cheese. Mouthwatering! I wanted to find out if I can store them for a few months, was concerned that freezing them whole would not retain their flavor and consistency.

Take care,
Pam

o

I made Pink Onion Jam from red cippolini onions. It's very different but delicious as a condiment on cold pork, ham, poultry, and beef.
I've chopped up all kinds of fresh onions - I froze them on sheet pans, then plopped them into quart bags to seal with my Food Saver. I open about one a week, break off what I need, then put the rest back in the freezer until that bag is done and repeat.
Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here