Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bela67

Lemon Curd?

bela67
14 years ago

My mom works as a cook in a nursing home and her boss accidentally ordered 50lbs of lemons instead of the normal box she gets.. Needless to say she brought home a bunch of lemons and aside from lemon meringue pies and lemon bars I thought maybe curd and freeze it..

Problem is I have never had curd before. I love lemons and wouldn't mind trying it but what do you use it for? on? with?

Comments (8)

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

I have a great recipe you make in the microwave and freeze. The curd is like a lemon pie filling.
    It is great to fill little pastry tart shells with. It is good on pound cake, English muffins, things like that.
    I would just eat it out of the jar !! It is so good.
    I have found that you can use Splenda, too, in the recipe.
    Here is my tried and true recipe:
    Microwave Lemon Curd
    2- 3 fresh lemons
    1/4 cup butter
    3/4 cup sugar (Splenda works well, too, for diabetics)
    2 eggs
    Finely grate the lemon peel. Squeeze lemons to make 1/2 cup lemon juice into a microwaveable 4 cup container. Stir in rind, butter, and sugar.Microwave uncovered on high for 1 and 1/2- 2 minutes. or until butter melts and mixture is hot.
    Beat eggs in a bowl. Gradually add the hot lemon mixture to the eggs, stir constantly. Return to the microwave container and microwave on med. for another 1- 2 min., stir every 30 seconds, until it is thickened. Do not boil. It will thicken as it cools.
    Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze for longer storage.
    Makes 1 2/3 cups.
    Variations:
    Use 1 lime, tangerine, or orange in place of one lemon.

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

Spread it on toast.
    Spread it on scones.
    Use it as a filling for a sponge cake.
    Use it as a filling for pre-baked mini pastry cases.
    Serve a dollop of it on ice cream - especially if the ice cream is on top of a waffle.
    Use it in a Swiss roll.
    Make thumb-print cookies, and fill the indentation with lemon curd. Drizzle some chocolate on top for an extra treat.
    Serve it with pancakes - with or without berries.
    Serve it with a plain cake - with or without berries.
    Serve it with gingerbread.
    Use it as a topping for pavlova.

Make this dessert (lemon butter=lemon curd):

Lemon Bread and Butter Pudding
    Thoroughly grease a pie dish and one-third fill it with soft breadcrumbs. Dot with butter. Pour in enough milk to just cover the crumbs. Place a layer of lemon butter, about 1cm thick, over mixture. Then beat together 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons sugar. Add sufficient milk to the beaten eggs and sugar to fill the pie dish to within 1cm of the top. Pour into pie dish, stirring gently. Bake in a moderately slow oven for 45-60 minutes until custard is set. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?keywords=lemon+curd+&x=24&y=12&searchType=recipes

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon curd bars

• bela67
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I will be making this on the weekend, some with splenda since hub is diabetic and some without. He is not the biggest lemon fan.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

To give you a curd or thick sauce, you can also thicken with a little Clear Jel starch instead of using any other means.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Like LindaLou, I eat it with a spoon. It's also a lovely cold tart filling, is nice rolled up in crepes, tops a muffin deliciously and makes a good filling for sandwich type cookies, I like it best with gingersnaps. I've also used it for jelly roll filling and in cream puffs and as a trifle layer along with lemon cake and whipped cream. It makes a passable topping for cheesecake too. Yum, I love the stuff.

This is the recipe I use, also microwavable like LindaLou's. I've never tried to freeze the stuff, but I don't see why I couldn't. I like the additional eggs, because I have chickens and always am trying to use up the eggs, LOL.

Microwave Lemon Butter
    (Colleen, Australia)

4oz butter (NOT margarine)
    3/4 cup lemon juice (about 3 lemons' worth)
    all the rind from the lemons, grated
    1 cup sugar (Colleen uses superfine, I just use regular)
    4-5 eggs, thoroughly beaten

Put butter, sugar, lemon juice and lemon rind into a micro-safe bowl. Cook on high about 3 minutes, stirring halfway through. Butter should be melted and sugar dissolved. Beat in eggs and microwave in 30-second bursts until it thickens, about 2 minutes. Whisk after each burst. Cool a cover immediately. Store in refrigerator.

Makes about 3 medium sized jars.

Sneaky notes:
    If you are making a lot of this, for gifts, etc, I peel the rind off with a peeler and drop it into the blender. Then cut off the white pith with a paring knife. Making sure there are no seeds, drop lemon flesh into blender. Whizz it up until the rind is pulverised. You should end up with about 1 cup of juice/rind mix per batch, to account for the rind and aeration. You can double or triple the recipe, just use a bigger bowl and adjust the times.

I also use the blender to whizz the eggs. If they are not totally beaten, you can get little white strings from the egg white which don't look great.

If you overcook it and it separates, beat up an extra egg. Gradually mix separated (sounds much better than curdled, doesn't it? ) mixture into egg. Repeat if necessary.

Annie

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I don't microwave mine but I do freeze it. Curds freeze beautifully. You can count on 3 months at a minimum.

Carol

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

OMG!!!! Thanks a lot! Now my diet's out the window for sure!!
    I just made Linda Lou's recipe and I'm in love!
    I like anything lemon and this is just perfect (can ya tell I've never eaten it before???).

I think I'm going to make an angel food cake (and a sponge cake with the leftover yolks).
    Angel food with lemon curd and fresh strawberries!! Yum!
    Sponge cake rolled and filled with lemon and.........??? Don't know yet, maybe blueberries!

Have you tried it with just oranges? I'll bet it would be good mixed with cream cheese and whipped cream for a cool summer pie. Creamsicle.

Linda Lou's recipe says you can sub ONE orange. Why just one?

Deanna

• zabby17
    14 years ago

bela67,

Wow, it all sounds SO GREAT! I've never done lemon curd but may be about to fall for it, big time.....

Are strawberries in season where you are?
    You might like to try strawberry lemonade --- see the thread with that in the title.

Zabby