Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need quick answer please.

Posted by soonergrandmom Z6 Grove (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 17:00

I made pickles with Mrs Wages Kosher Dill mix and had a lot left over. I used the remainder for a couple of pints of green beans. After looking at the Dilly Bean recipe in my Ball book, it looks like they require a stronger vinegar solution. Will the additional acid in the mix make up the difference, or do I just need to refrigerate the beans and use them fast?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need quick answer please.

While Mrs. Wages does contain citric acid there is no way to know if it is enough to cover the beans. It would be a guess. So for best safety you need to refrigerate and use from there. They will keep in the fridge for several weeks.

Dave

o

Thanks Dave, I was afraid that was the answer.

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 19, 12 at 23:56

If it helps the refrigerator pickles we made last fall are still good. We made up several jars following a recipe that was rather sweet. We have about 1/4 of the last jar left. I was rather surprised how good they still were when I found one more jar of them a few weeks ago tucked back behind the molasses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here