Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nosnowtn

Would you/do you stack jars ???

nosnowtn
14 years ago

I always thought this was a no-no, until I saw Alton

Brown stacking sealed jars of jelly in his cabinet on an episode of "Good Eats". Even though I believe he had rings on

his jars, the entire concept just boggled my mind.

Anyhow, the reason I'm asking is because my DH built me a beautiful step-back cupboard for my canned goods. Since it is 7 foot wide and just as tall, he made most of the shelves tall enough to fit quarts, with the exception of the first shelf on the upper tier which is 20". This is the shelf I most favor for jams/jellies/butters.

So, any feedback ??? I always remove rings and wash jars prior to storage, but would worry about seal failure were I to stack them. My cupboard fills up rapidly this time of year, but there are other options. What do you do?

Thanks,

Joan

Comments (12)

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

Yes, I stack, but I put a layer of carboard between them or put the top ones in a box to distribute the weight.
    Even quarts are stacked occasionally, but not the norm.

I also box and store under beds, in cupboards, etc.
    Wherever I can find room along about September!!!

Deanna

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

I also do a layer of cardboard at my husbands insistence and it works nicely. He explained the distribution of weight thing to me...

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Same here - stack with layer of cardboard between - in cabinets.

Dave

• calliope
    14 years ago

I must hold my mouth right, because when my jars are sealed, they are so bent-in and the lids so tight with vacuum, I nearly need a jack hammer to lift them. Yes, I stack them, but usually a smaller jar, like a jelly jar on a quart jar. My DH built me a pantry for my canned goods too. He made most of the shelves just tall enough to accommodate a quart jar. But I also have canned goods in two other places, one of them an inglenook in my dining room where I keep mostly jellies and jams.

• ruthieg__tx
    14 years ago

My pantry shelves

{{gwi:896950}}

{{gwi:896951}}

• nosnowtn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! Heavy cardboard or Luan were the other options I was considering. Right now there is still a good bit of room in there, but a few months and a few hundred jars from now.....
    The next project is a jelly cupboard/pie safe to store all the empties.

Joan

• robin_d
    14 years ago

I see some pretty tasty-looking stuff on those shelves, Ruthie!

• karen_b
    14 years ago

Thanks for asking the question, I would have never known you could stack. Wait till my DH hears this, I can can more because now I'll have more room.

• junelynn
    14 years ago

I've noticed these photos are only 2 jars high. Can you stack higher? I have some pints stacked with three jars, pints with four jars.

Thanks,
    June Lynn

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Careful, you have a lot of glass there and any unnecessary movement can cause a major issue with many jars falling and smashing. The shelves should be sturdy and never sag. In stores, most of the tall stacking can be done by adding a stiff sheet of cardboard or thin wood between each jar top and the base of the one above it.

• busylizzy
    14 years ago

I stack jelly and pints, rings off. Woodmode didn't build the pull out pantry shelves to fit larger than jelly canning jars, grrrrrrr. Have to put pints/quarts in the back
    Plus I have to put in the washing room cabinets.
    I don't stack higher than 2, but never bothered with cardboard.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The cardboard between layers would reduce the issue of an avalanche, as if a top jar tips over, it won't bring the lower level down with it.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company