I found this recipe on line some where

4 pounds squash
1/4 cup pickling salt
1 qt vinegar
1 cup water
dill see (1 tsp per pint)
garlic if desired (one per pint)

bwb for 15 minutes

Ok, so I made them but I used qt jars though. And I realized that I only used the 1 tsp of dill seed per qt jar. So, are these going to be ok? Would that be enough time in the bwt and enough dill seed? They all popped, so they took but don't want to get sick.

I am realizing that I really did not know so much danger was involved in canning! I made cayenne peppers, pickled squash, and purple hull peas last year. We have ate some of all of them. Most of it actually. I need to be more careful!!

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    10 years ago

Ok the safety factor here is in the processing time used. If a recipe calls for pints then you cannot use larger jars. You would have to increase the processing time to make it safe and how much increase is guessing. So the rule is you can always go to smaller jars but you can't go to bigger than called for.

Since this particular recipe is basically 90% vinegar they will be safe to eat because of the acidity level but they will be very weak in dill/garlic flavor. Basically vinegar flavored squash.

You can always open the jars and add the extra dill and garlic and re-process but that second processing will likely make them very mushy as squash just doesn't hold up to processing well. Personally I would toss them as not worth the shelf space to keep. But you may like the flavor and only time will tell.

Something we talk about here all the time is that finding canning instructions "somewhere online" is dangerous. There is a ton of inaccurate and very unsafe info out there. Using only approved sources like the Ball books, NCHFP, and a few other certified book sources with current editions is the standard recommendation.

Canning is a science, not to be taken lightly or treated casually.

Dave

• pqtex
    10 years ago

Use the recipe for Squash Bread and Butter pickles, an approved variation of Bread and Butter Pickles. It's delicious, and I don't even like pickles and usually don't like vinegary stuff. It's really good made with yellow squash. Don't bother with the pickling lime method mentioned in the instructions. You can use pickle crisp instead, but even that is optional.

Here is a link that might be useful: Squash Bread and Butter Pickles - NCHFP

• luvncannin
    10 years ago

I totally agree with Dave . You have to be very careful about where you get recipes for canning. And canning methods from the old days are not safe anymore either. Most of the people I talk to about canning use the old methods and don't understand why I go to the trouble I do and why wont I use their gramas recipes...
    I don't even use my gramas recipes. They are bring framed for my kitchen.

The best squash pickles I ever made was from a packaged mix someone gave me and I followed the directions to the letter except subbed squash for cucumbers. I cut them into spears.
    kim

• tracik3
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!!

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County