Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Really Cute - Petite Pies in Canning Jars

nancyofnc
12 years ago

My daughter posted this to Facebook and got me to thinking about serving "sudden company". Wide mouth half-pint jars are fitted with a pastry crust then with a fresh or canned pie filling, capped and then frozen. Individual portions are fun, and there could be a great variety of flavors ready at any time in the freezer.

I am sure that no other size jar would work - can't get stuff out of a regular mouth jar, and ones too tall would not bake properly, so this particular size is the one and only. I Googled for other than the suggested supplier (Amazon) and found other companies that are less expensive and have lower shipping rates, but I am for sure going to check with my local Ace Hardware to see if I can order them and pick up in-store without shipping cost.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Frozen Pies in Canning Jars

Comments (13)

• readinglady
    12 years ago

I have cases of those jars. Fortunately, no supply problems here. Ace carries them in season and so does Bi-mart. They are a handy size and shape for lots of things.

Those pies would be a great gift idea for those living alone or small families. I'm thinking older family members particularly.

Carol

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

I have cases of that size, I used to buy them for canning for my mother and accumulated many somehow. Also picked up three cases still sealed (back when they were in boxes with lids) at a garage sale and have never opened those.

It looks like a fun project for a rainy day and something else I could do for my almost non-cooking Mom, I worry she buys so many processed frozen foods/dinners. Wonder how they would work with a savory filling...cooked beef w/sauce of some type, chicken pot pie?

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

While they are really cute, the Ball company says baking in the jars is dangerous. They are not meant for dry, hot heat like that. They can shatter and hurt you.
    Please, stick with regular small baking pans instead.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

You're right. I'd forgotten, though I do remember thinking putting them into the oven from the frozen state would be especially risky.

Carol

• 2ajsmama
    12 years ago

I saw a request on CL last summer looking for the 4 oz jars, I only had 4 at the time but contacted poster anyway about this idea. I don't know if they ever made pies in them, but she said they did apple crisp and no problems with cracking. Of course they used new jars (got a good bulk price at HW store since didn't get any off CL). They also decided to use the 8oz jars instead:

"Just a basic recipe, 8 oz. It would have been even better if they were served freshly baked because as they sat they shrunk down so only were 1/2 to 2/3 full. But we served with whipped cream so no one seemed to mind.

As a test for my own use, I froze some jars first and then took out of freezer for 10 min placed into cold oven then baked at 375 for 30-35 mins."

I take it to mean she let them thaw for 10 minutes on the counter before putting into a cold oven, so they were thawed/glass was room temp by the time the oven got over 200 or so?

Denser foods (like meat?) would take longer to thaw and might tend to keep the glass too cold - best to thaw in fridge before baking?

Also, just based on my experience baking DD's cake in a jar last year (didn't can it, just looking for a "tower" shape that would hold thin batter), they tend to be a bit soggy - I would think pastry even more so than cake, and frozen (even if thawed) and baked in the same glass container even more so? I've only ever baked frozen pies in foil pans, so this is just a guess on glass. FWIW, I started in a cold oven too.

Now, if you could find small foil pans (I know I've seen various shaped ones, don't know about round), that might work, though not as cute.

I did think that it might be cute to use the 4 oz jars for custards, so they'd be in a water bath in the oven. Might try that next time I make pumpkin pie.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    12 years ago

Oh, darn, I hadn't even thought about the dry heat. It was a good idea for a few minutes anyway....Thanks Linda for the heads up.

• readinglady
    12 years ago

One of the "new" Southern cookbooks (don't remember which one at the moment) had a picture of banana pudding layered with vanilla wafers in those jars. The only oven baking was a brief browning of the meringue.

It was intended as a cute "rustic" (think Martha Stewart) way to offer individual servings.

Carol

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

I haven't tried this, but just thinking...
    Why couldn't you bake the pies in the large sized muffin tins, then drop them into the jars to freeze or for "cute" gift-giving?
    Slide the pie out and reheat in an oven-safe container (or nuke it) if desired for warm pie.

Deanna

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Deanna,
    It works great to make in large muffin pans.You can line them with foil, then put the pies in.
    I know you can order the aluminum little pie pans online. A friend of mine did that. They were nice, too.

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

Those are so freakin' CUTE though! Too bad about the risk.

• zabby17
    12 years ago

Well, those are so very cute and I must say I think the risk is one I'd be willing to take. Pies that size would not have to bake very long, for one thing.

The jar makers have every incentive to err on the side of extreme caution and warn against using their jars in any way other than the one they sell them for.

I know Linda Lou will lose sleep worrying about me, so I promise if I do this that I'll let you all know first and then post to reassure you afterward if I survive. ;-p

Z

• Linda_Lou
    12 years ago

Well, I can't help it ! Of course I worry about you.
    Hugs, Zabby.

Linda Lou

• zabby17
    12 years ago

Hugs right back at ya,

Zabby ;-)