Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bucklesnbows

Food Strainer- Victorio 250 and Roma

bucklesnbows
14 years ago

I know the discussions of which food strainer is best has been discussed at length and I know for mid-range machines people prefer either the Roma or the Victorio. I have seen a few posts about people that had just bought the Victorio 250 but none from anyone with opinions on how it performed.

I was hoping someone out there could share their experience with the Victorio 250.

Also, I have seen some reviews (on Amazon) about the Roma leaking and the screen clogging. Those that have the Roma, have you experienced anything like this? How has it performed?

Comments (11)

• bucklesnbows
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You bet!

Victorio:
    First Link
    or
    Second Link

Roma:
    First Link
    or
    Second Link

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Victorio is the ORIGINAL name for the same kind of food strainer as mentioned in many posts. The most efficent, least problematic, and most reliable is the Roma model, which was previously named Villaware, and before that Victorio. Ever time the name has changed, it appears that the designs also change slightly. Comparing an older model Victorio to the latest Roma is all followes:

Original Victorio model 200:
    no wrap wround spatter guard
    no shaft seal
    no extended waste tube
    big wingnuts on the screens
    wooden pusher
    leaky design

Roma:
    shaft has O ring seal
    wrap around spatter shield
    twist on screens
    extended waste tube
    all plastic, and cast aluminium housing
    no leaks

ALL food strainers in ALL your links are one in the same, and can also go by the name Weston, Back to Basics, and a few other common names they went by in the past years. All show the proper wrap around spatter screens, twist on strainers, and extended waste tubes. The ONLY one to avoid is the vacuum cup type that mounts with no screw on clamp. The vacuum ones don't seem to hold firm enough. All the machines listed have only the SINGLE tomato scrainer screen, so if you plan to do seedy berries like raspberries and the like, you need to get the optional berry screen with finer holes. Also, if you do grapes with seeds, the optional shorter spiral auger is needed. If doing minced tomatoes, use the optional salsa screen, and for pumpkin use the optional pumpkin screen

as tated, the optional screens are sold in a pack orf three wth the shorter grape spiral. All units can use the same motor unit (with holding brakets), that is also used on pasta rolling machines.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Ken's right all the ones in your links are the same thing - just different names and model numbers. You can't go wrong with any of them so go with the best price as long as it includes with it the basic set of screens too.

Of the 4 links no photo on the Housewareplaza.com so I'd buy the one from Overstock even tho it is 2 dollars more because it is sold by a reputable dealer unlike the one on amazon.com and the one at Ultimate Nourisment is priced WAY out of line.

Dave

• bucklesnbows
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you very much. I wasn't too sure as I have seen a lot of posts here that say Roma/Villaware/Victorio are all the same but one poster said that they weren't (forget which post I read) so I wanted to make sure. I tried to confirm this but I can't find anything on the web that says that Roma took all of these comapanies over.

Actually the Ultimate Nourisment site may be the best priced Roma that I have found. For $90 you get all four screens along with free shipping. The Victorio is $90 at HousewarePlazaOverstock with shipping and the 4 screens included.

All in all, both are $90 with everything. It was just a matter of which everyone thought was best. If they are all the same and one succeeded company after the other, I would be more inclined to order the Roma seeing as they are the company that is around now.

Thank you so much for the information!

• rock22r
    14 years ago

Here's a link to a good price on the Roma also any part you may need for a pressure canner I got all the parts to change the old Presto model 21B that my mom gave over to a the three piece weight set and fix her up like new super fast shipping for a low price not over charging on shipping to make up for there low price on goods I received my order in three days.

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/ows070801.htm

http://www.pressurecooker-outlet.com/index.htm

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

Actually the Ultimate Nourisment site may be the best priced Roma that I have found. For $90 you get all four screens along with free shipping. The Victorio is $90 at HousewarePlazaOverstock with shipping and the 4 screens included.

All in all, both are $90 with everything.

You may want to do some more shopping around then as that price is out of line. All of them come with the basic screens which are all most use anyway so Overstock at $49.99 or any of the many other sites offering them can beat the $90 price.

www.agrisupply.com has them for $42.95 +shipping.

Dave

• greenhouser2
    14 years ago

bucklesnbows z 6: I have the Roma and it does leak and it does clog. We've also had juice from tomatoes squirt across the room when turning the crank. We're not looking forward to using it this summer when the tomatoes come in. We have a smaller made in Italy one that makes less of a mess. We may use that one instead. I just looked and can't find a picture of it online.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

ALL the models come with a SINGLE tomato screen ONLY, and regular spiral. Older models, as mentioned were not as well designed as the current ones. My very old Victorio used to leave puddles of liquid leaking out onto the floor below the crank shaft, and I had to cover the strainer with plastic wrap to reduce spatter. Todays models don't have those issues. If your going to strain berries, suggest that you also get the optional screens. If you look at the hundreds of posts about these, 80% of them are from me, explaining every single detail and facet about these efficient strainers. Don't settle for a Foley or other type, as you will be very unhappy.

I have never seen a Roma, Weston, Villaware leak or clog and suspect that its and older model and not the correct type, the unit may also be assembled incorrectly, or has some internal flaws. If these are not put toether correctly, you will have leaks and poor performance. These all have a big spring on the shaft. There is also an E ring on the shaft that holds the shaft from sliding out the back towards the crank. The spring slides over the shaft applies pressure to the plastic auger, and this is what forces the pulp and juices out the conical strainer screens.

We have been battling with negative posts about these from Greenhouser in the past, and feel its simply a bad (defective) unit or one thats not assembled correctly. She has also ignored my very descriptive posts and chose some kind of obscure machine that I have never seen anywhere. Worst yet, it may not even be a current model, or a fake one thats poorly made from China.

• wcthomas
    14 years ago

I bought the new Victorio model 250 from Amazon for $47.49 plus $9.95 shipping. It comes with one screen, and the set of additional screens runs another $30-40 depending where you buy them. My strainer was shipped by Debnroo and received promptly and well packaged - smooth transaction. I also bought the salsa screen for $14.99 and free shipping.

I haven't used the strainer yet but am quite satisfied with its quality of construction. I believe the only difference between the Victorio and Roma models is the design of the hopper, the Victorio being slightly larger and deeper, but this is not very meaningful.

TomNJ

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

The additional screens as a package include the salsa screen as part of the package. Also, in that same attachment pckage are the finer holed berry screen for extracting the juices from raspberries. Its not as cost effective to jus buy one screen, if you have other plans for the machine. When buying the optional screens, be sure they are the newer twist on types, as opposed to the type with two big wing nuts. They are not interchangable.