Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momto4kids_gw

Big Batch Habanero Gold...Can it get bigger?

momto4kids
16 years ago

I have the Habanero Gold and the Big Batch recipes and have made one batch of each. I LOVE the extra hot version of the Big Batch!! HOT!!!

Because I love it so much, I go through it very quickly. I'm gearing up to make more. I'm still very new to all this. Annie was kind enough to get me started. She did caution me that I can't just go doubling and tripling recipes. I want to make about three or four dozen 8-oz jars. The Big Batch did yield 6 jars for me. So, I'm thinking I'll want to make about 8 times the big Batch recipe.

I'm certain I can't do this all in one day. But how much can I do at one time? Is it too ambitious to think I could get 24 jars done in one day? If I want to make four batches to get 24 jars, do I need to make four separate pots for Day 1 of the recipe? Since I wouldn't have added the pectin at this point, could I multiply the recipe by 4, cook it, let it sit overnight, then carefully divide it (by weight) into 4 pots for the return to boil/addition of pectin?

When I've got the first 6 jars in the BWB for 10 minutes, can I be finishing up the boiling/pectin part of another pot? But what if I get ahead? Can the next 6, 12 or 18 jars sit out, ready to be processed? Is there a time limit on how long they can sit before I get them processed? Would it just be better if I entirely completed one batch at a time before proceeding to the next?

Maybe my plan IS too ambitious! LOL! I can see doing all of this one batch after the other, and probably over several days, but I wanted to check if there is anything I can do to produce more jars without upsetting the recipe and make sure I'm efficient in the process!

Thanks!

Comments (24)

• readinglady
    16 years ago

If we're talking about the same recipe, I came up with the Big Batch. I told Annie it galled me to pay that much for liquid pectin for such a tiny yield.

I've never tried more than that because I'm very meticulous about cutting the apricots and peppers. That's about as much cutting as I want to do at once.

But thinking about it, all the apricots could be cut up ahead of time for however many batches you want. And I think the peppers and onions could be done one day ahead but not more than that because they'll be exuding juices. I'm not sure the result would be as appealing. (Just guessing.)

I normally work by weight, which makes dividing batches easier. You could try prepping a double batch of the Big Batch (yielding 12 8-oz. jars), pre-cooking it, letting it sit, then divide into two pans the next day and do the two batches in sequence.

Beyond that I probably wouldn't attempt, in part because appearance is huge for me, and managing any twisting and turning to distribute solids with that many jars may prove difficult. That's really a fast recipe in the last stages. Also, liquid pectin can be troublesome. Dumping a big-big batch (LOL) into one pot you do risk the mixture not jelling, or on the other side, you have to cook it longer. Part of the appeal is that the little bits retain their character. Longer cooking may work against you.

Anyway, give it a shot and let us know how things turn out.

Carol

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Carol! Yes, I *thought* this was your recipe, but I wasn't exactly sure which Carol! It's great, and I do love your note on making it extra hot!

I think I'm being too optimistic and should just stick to no more than 2 regular batches in one day. Especially since I am so new at this and not very confident in my abilities! Now that you mention it, I remember it did take a bit longer for the Big Batch version to set and I did spend quite a bit more time agitating the jars. Half the joy is how nice it looks in the jars...so I do want to be careful.

Thanks again...I'm looking forward to making it. I have none on hand! :(

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I think you're wise to hold off on experimenting since this is fairly new territory.

I find that (so far, knock on wood) this jelly sets up very quickly. But that's due to the fact I cook a bit longer after the pectin's added than the brief time the original recipe directs.

Have fun with it. And I do agree. Especially for gift-giving it's so nice to have those lovely little "bits" suspended throughout the jar. It's just not the same if everything's floating on top.

Carol

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again, Carol!

So, do you by any chance have the Big Batch recipe using weights? I prefer working by weight, too!

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Sorry, I haven't done weights with that yet. The original Habanero Gold recipe is from the Bernardin book (Canada). I developed my variation using the proportions of the original to be sure I maintained safety (due to the onions and peppers). Since that went by measure, so did I.

First I made sure creating a big batch with the same amount of pectin would work. Then I made a second big batch increasing the apricots (because I like them, LOL) and checked that the first batch setting wasn't a fluke. This summer when I make my HG, I'll calculate the weights.

Carol

• zemmaj
    16 years ago

Carol, did you just multiply the recipe and by how much, I have been away for a while and missed this. I planted Habs this year and plan to do the recipe but due to the nature of my work (call it the beast lol), I don't do anything in small batches.

thanks
    Marie

• readinglady
    16 years ago

I doubled the recipe but kept the same amount of liquid pectin. I also increased the dried apricots, though that wouldn't be necessary. I just prefer them and also like the added acidity. The method I used is different. I have an appointment this a.m. and a hectic day to follow, but I will post later with my version so you can compare with the original.

Carol

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Geez, go on vacation and see what happens, LOL.

Momto4kids, welcome to Harvest! I knew I'd get you hooked and you'd come over here. (grin)

Frankly, I could do 4 batches in a day, but I don't have 4 children around either, and it would be a stretch. I often do 2 batches, and cook one batch while the other is in the canner, the jelly can sit for a couple of minutes waiting for the canner to be "free" and it doesn't hurt anything.

Poor Carol, with that kitchen remodel I know you can't can a thing, you're having to live vicariously, aren't you? I just wanted to thank you again for the "big batch", I never make a small batch anymore, just big batches!

Annie

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Marie, if you check this old thread you'll see the Big Batch Habanero recipe with a description of the changes i made. I called it Hot 'N Sweet Confetti Jelly.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Big Batch Habanero Jelly

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol,
    The copy of the Big Batch recipe that I have saved says for "extra" hot jelly, increase habs by 1/4 cup (to 1/2 cup total) and reduce onion/red pepper by 1/4 cup (to 1 cup). That still holds, right? I like it """"HOT!!!""""
    Thanks!

Annie,
    Yes, you gals got me addicted to a new sport! I'm having fun trying out different things. I just made some strawberry jam after realizing I didn't need to be so worried about the particular method I use to "smoosh" the strawberries! Fun! Fun, I tell ya!

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Yes, that's just fine. The total amount of low-acid veggies remains the same; they've just been traded around a little. Perfectly safe.

Enjoy the heat! We're looking at 101 here today, so I don't need any extra heat in anything!

Carol

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Momto4kids, I just use a potato masher to "smoosh" the strawberries, I'm not picky AT ALL.

I did make some jalapeno spiked Bing Cherry jam with you in mind but the jals were so mild I can't even taste them. Pah. You'll have to add pepper flakes when you open them or something!

Annie

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Carol,
    Have you got air conditioning? We have a small one in the bedroom, but the rest of the house is gonna be HOT!

I just met an online acquaintance from Arizona for lunch and she's laughing at us.........they are here to escape the heat!!

Man I want to stop and get some Bings for jam, but I'm not canning anything for the next few days!! Maybe by the weekend.

Deanna

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh Annie, that cherry jam still sounds delicious! I'm looking forward to it! Did you work out a recipe??!!

• annie1992
    16 years ago

Momto4kids, I used the recipe for Jalapeno Spiked Cherry Preserves that is on the Bing Cherry thread. It just isn't hot enough, I'm thinking either hotter jals or a different, hotter pepper. Still, what can be bad about sweet cherry jam?

Annie

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carol, Annie and anyone else working with weights...

I just made and processed two Big Batches of HG. I kept them separate from the beginning. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to evenly distribute the bits if I started in one big pot and tried to divide them on Day 2.

I did weigh everything several times and here is what I came up with for one Big Batch recipe:
    170 g minced dried apricots (1/8" dice)
    200 g total of minced red sweet pepper and minced red onion (1/8" dice), approximately half-and-half.
    30 g Habanero peppers
    Note: For extra-hot, increase Habaneros to 60 g and reduce red sweet pepper/red onion combination to 150 g total.
    360 g white vinegar
    1.2 kg (1200g) sugar
    1 3-oz. pouch liquid pectin

When I look at the ingredients as a formula, the percentages using weights are a little off from the percentages using the cup measurements. Shouldn't they be the same? I what I have okay? How should I evaluate whether my weights are okay? Now that I've got the calculations set up, should I "tinker" around with the grams to force the percentages to be the same as those using cups?

Thanks!!

• readinglady
    16 years ago

Thanks for this! What a time-saver for me. I assume you measured by volume and then weighed each ingredient?

Personally I wouldn't be concerned. I think you're trying to use "apples" (volume) and compare it to "oranges" (weight) when you talk about proportions. It doesn't work that way because weight is a function of density. A cup of dried apricots, for example, will weigh considerably more than a cup of habs.

Cut-and-pasted with gratitude.

Carol

• momto4kids
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I did measure by volume, then weighed. I did each ingredient 3 or 4 times, just to be sure!

Ah, yes, of course volume vs weight...duh, of course!!...not worried now!

Much faster to work with weight! BTW, I used 60 g of habs and my Big Batch is HOT!!! Just how I like it!

Thank YOU so much for the Big Batch version. So glad I could give back a little bit!!

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Momto4 - thanks so much for the weight measurements. I, also, have c&p them into my original Big Batch recipe from Carol. It'll make it so much easier when I make a batch TODAY!

• User
    15 years ago

Carol,

I wanted to send a note to thank you for coming up with the double batch recipe!

I finally got around to whipping up two batches using frozen habanero and red peppers from this yearÂs harvest. It turned out great using your recipe and cut my pectin cost by half to boot. I also made a single batch using the original recipe for taste comparison. I did not notice and discernable difference.

I ended up with 20 half pints. Along with 12 half pints of Habanero Cranberry Jelly, I should have enough to get me through the winter.

HereÂs a shot of some of my Habanero Gold stash.

Bill

• User
    15 years ago

Should read "I did not notice any discernable difference"

• readinglady
    15 years ago

Now that's beautiful. I like the looks of that Habanero Cranberry too.

I'm glad the Big-Batch version proved satisfactory. The cost of liquid pectin just keeps going up and up and it irked me to spend so much time, effort and money for such a small batch. (Though I owe a debt of gratitude to Bob Rouleau for coming up with the original Bernardin recipe.)

Carol

• elchupacabra
    15 years ago

Is it possible to use a different fruit than apricots? I'm not a big fan of them. How about pineapple?

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

I would think any fruit type could be used, apple, cranberry, raspberry, pomegranate, peach, plum. Dried apricots are sold as two types. California, which is nice and tart, and Turkish which are very sweet and lack the 'character' of this fruit. I much prefer the California ones.