Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuamor1628

Too Late?

tuamor1628
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I know this is going to sound a little bit out of left field but I really wanted to add carrotts and peas to my garden. Can anyone tell me if it is too late to do so? Will I still be able to harvest before the first frost? Will the plants in general hold up through the summer heat? Are they more prone to diseases and bug-eaters in the summer months with these plants? Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks Guys!

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hi tuamor - this is more of a Vegetable Gardening forum question rather than the canning and preserving forum. But since I'm in the same zone as you then I can tell you that yes, it is far too late for peas as they are a cool weather crop only. They are normally planted in the early spring - late Feb to early March in zone 6 - as soon as the soil can be worked and they won't tolerate the heat at all.

Carrots, if you can get them to germinate now given the soil temps we have, they will grow but they will have to be kept very very well watered to keep them from going woody in the heat. They too prefer cooler weather for planting - April in zone 6.

You'd have a much better chance with both if you do a fall garden with them by planting them in mid-late Sept after the heat breaks. Both will tolerate light frosts with no problems.

Dave

• backyardbum
    11 years ago

another option would be to plant them in a fall garden. Mid august early september for peas. (Getting ready for work will look up dates when I get home.)
    Lynn

• backyardbum
    11 years ago

sorry I didn't see the last sentence of daves reply

• tuamor1628
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What about the Wanda variety (I think that's what its called) peas? I had heard they were heat resistant.

• tuamor1628
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry its called Wando

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Heat resistant just means that any well established plants will last a bit longer in the spring before dying, that any blooms they may already have have a greater chance of setting fruit. It doesn't mean they will germinate, grow, and produce in the heat.

Sorry but English green peas are strictly a cool weather crop. Just like all the other cool weather vegetables, they will grow in the early Spring and in the late Fall. They will not survive much less produce in the heat of summer.

But there are also many summer crops that cannot be grown in early spring or Fall. For everything there is a season.

Dave