Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Turnip Question

Posted by gardenman101 Z6 Spingfield, Ma (gardenman101@aol.com) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 18:52

I just put up 8qts of turnips the other dsy. All in all it seemed to go fine. I allowed 1/2 headspace in all jars. My question is that now after a few days there seems to be about 1" headspace in the jars and some of the turnips are not completely submerged in liquid, would they be safe or is the jars useless now? I didnt relise they made adding pictures easier, so as soon as im out of work Ill take a picture of what I mean. If i turn jars upside down nothing leaks out so i dont think water escaped while pressure canning, but then again im still a novice canner compared to alot of you. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Turnip Question

Your turnips are just fine. 1 inch headspace is standard. If any of the turnips are partially poking out of the fluid, DO NOT WORRY.
They are safe to eat. They may discolor (the part out of the fluid) but they are completely safe to eat.
And yes, we all sometimes lose water from out jars in pressure canning and the water left while in the canner. The jars are now sealed and turning them over will not prove that you did not lose any water/fluid in the process.
CONGRATULATIONS CANNER, YOU HAVE DONE IT!!!!!!!!!
Jim in So Calif

o
RE: Turnip Question

Thank you Jim, I was affraid I'd have to discard them. I planted a veriety called Oasis, they are an all white and sweet turnip. To bad they are hybrids thoughh, id like to start saving the seed. You can through theese seed anywhere and they would grow without any further attention, They are very mild in that turnip taste which is why i'd hate to have thrown them out, Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here