Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deborah_sc

Green Beans

Deborah-SC
11 years ago

I just finished blanching & freezing a bushel and a half of green beans. I am TIRED! Don't feel like looking at a green bean for a while but they sure will be yummy this winter ..... :)

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Envy you. Mine are just now coming on. Of course it is the third planting of them since my friendly neighborhood armadillo rooted up the first 2 plantings.

And yes they will be great mid-winter! With armadillo stew if he doesn't move on.

Dave

• bcskye
    11 years ago

My bean plants aren't producing yet, but I hope they are as productive as yours seem to be. How many plants did you have? Yes, home grown green beans in winter are so yummy. Now, armadillo stew? Not too sure about that!

• Deborah-SC
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I shouldn't have posted, sorry -- I didn't actually grow these -- I don't have green beans -- I'm a newbie veggie gardener with a 4' X 12' raised bed. I bought the green beans from my neighbor's great-uncle. He has a huge garden -- paid $16 for them. He picked them for me this morning. If you add in the cost of freezer bags, ice, water & electricity it comes to about $.60 per quart bag (approx. 1 pound). I have to pay at least $1.00 per 12 oz. for frozen green beans -- and that's on sale and with a coupon. Came out ahead and getting back to my "country" roots .... :)

• bcskye
    11 years ago

No problem. They were home grown, put up fresh from the garden, less expensive than frozen or in a can from the grocery and I would think healthier because they are preservative free. A lot of people put up veggies and fruit they get from other people or farmers markets. Great idea and they will still taste so-o-o good this winter.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    11 years ago

Deborah, don't apologize - you can contribute here even if the beans don't come from your own garden. I don't have a lot of space left for vegetables and will often buy things at the Farmers Market or go to a U-pick....still counts as putting up a harvest.

I don't often have the chance to catch the tuna I can every year either (although I would like to)...please don't tell me that doesn't count, it's my biggest canning job each year.

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    11 years ago

Agree! You don't have to grow it!

A local farmers market has butter beans on sale @ $.30 a pound. They aren't selling because no one wants to shell them! I'm going by on my way home to buy about 20 lbs to put up. I can't grow them that cheap!

PS I canned a bushel of green beans from my garden this weekend.