Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dehydrating green beans

Posted by tracik (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 19:11

Has anyone tried this? I saw some at Walmart the other day and they looked so good but like $4 for a very small amount. I do have a dehydrator. Anyone know how to do it? Thanks

Traci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dehydrating green beans

Yes, here is link to all the instructions. Just scroll down to the Green Beans. Don't forget the instructions on blanching them first.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: NCHFP - How to Dehydrate Vegetables

o

I did this one year. They were definitely different from canned or frozen but good. I did like freeing up freezer space and liked having the dried beans because they take up so little space and are not subject to a freezer failure.
You might want to dry a batch and cook them to see if you like them. I'm southern and like green beans "well done" but some people don't like them that way.
Were the ones at Walmart dried or freeze dried? There is a difference. You will not be able to eat the dried ones without rehydrating and cooking.

o

Ok, thanks y'all! I'm southern too and like my beans cooked!! lol

But, I was wanting to make these to eat as a snack not cooked.

I'm not sure how the ones at Walmart were done. They are by the produce on a little table with nuts and other stuff like that.

o

I wonder if they were actually "chips" like those bright green okra chips. They're actually fried, not dried. Hard to believe that they'd be selling dehydrated green beans. And even harder to believe that they'd be a good snack once they were dried. But deep fried, or pressure fried, salted, spiced, etc, sure.

o

They looked just like green beans to me. I will look again and read the label next time. And you are talking my language with deep fried!! lol

o

I think I know what you're talking about. They are crispy green beans that are seasoned and used as a snack - like these http://www.nuts.com/snacks/fruit-veggie-chips/green-bean-chips.html. If you read the package, they are baked, not dehydrated.

That said, here's a lady who's dehydrated green beans and claims they are better than the store bought type: http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2012/11/30/a-real-food-alternative-to-potato-chips-munchy-crunchy-salty-and-nourishing/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here