Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Auntie Annes salsa

Posted by tracik (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 19:13

Would someone please post the recipe? I looked under the recipe section but it has question marks for some of the ingredient amounts. And someone was saying the vinegar amount is not correct. Thanks

Traci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Auntie Annes salsa

Annie's Salsa

8 cups tomatoes, peeled, chopped and drained
2 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped green pepper
3 to 5 chopped jalapenos (for milder leave out seeds and ribs)
6 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin (optional)
2 tsp pepper
1/8 cup canning salt
1/4 c fresh cilantro (optional)
1/3 c sugar
1 cup cider vinegar (see note on subbing lemon or lime juice option)
16 oz canned tomato sauce
8-16 oz canned tomato paste

Mix all ingredients, bring to a boil, boil 10 minutes. Pour into hot jars, process pints for 15 minutes.

Makes 6 pints.

_________

A lot of changes have been made to this recipe over the years. Some people like lemon or lime juice in place of some or all of the vinegar, that's fine. Some people leave out the cilantro, that's fine too. Some people add more hot peppers or fewer onions, fine as long as you keep the same total measurements. Some people leave out the sugar, that's fine.

You can scoop out the goo in the middle of the tomatoes with your thumbs when I'm peeling and chopping for a less seedy version, so it's 8 cups of chopped tomatoes without the seeds and goo.

Most who make it regularly as well as Annie recommend using a variety of different slicing tomatoes, not paste types, for best flavor and consistency.

There are literally over 100 discussions here about is but it can get very confusing reading through them as some of them make suggestions for un-approved changes. Stick with the original as posted above.

Dave

o

Thank you so much!

The recipe sounds good to me as it is except for the cilantro. I love the stuff! I think that is what makes a good salsa. So, I will probably subtract the onions by 1/2 cup and 1/2 cup more cilantro.

I don't mind the seeds in the tomatoes.

What is a paste tomato?

Now if I my tomatoes will get to growing!!

o

Oh, is green pepper bell pepper? Thanks!

o

You can substitute green bell pepper for chile peppers and vice versa - by weight/volume, not by count. Same with onions - red, yellow, white onions are all about the same pH and density. As Annie said, you can even sub peppers for onions or vice versa, b/c they are close.

But you cannot safely increase the amount of fresh herbs in any canning recipe, even if you take out another low-acid ingredient. I haven't found the pH of cilantro, but if it's like celery, it's close to 6.0, where onions are more like 5.5 (depending on type). Not to mention that 1/2C of onions (1/4 dice) is going to be a lot less densely packed than 1/2C of cilantro.

For the best flavor, add your extra cilantro (or all of it) upon opening the jar. You can freeze it or dry it if you grow your own, if using store-bought it's available year-round so why risk it?

o

Agree, add your extra cilantro after opening the jars. Canning and subsequent shelf storage has some bad effects on fresh herbs in addition to the pH changes. Many will turn quite bitter, some intensify to the point of ruining the flavor, and some fade away completely.

You can eliminate the pH issues by using dried herbs rather than fresh as the dried won't alter the pH. But they still have the other issues.

Dave

o

Or, if you grow a bit of cilantro like i do...i grow plenty as i love it...you can make an herb/cilantro pesto and freeze in an ice cube tray, then store in a zip-lock in the freezer...easy to add a cube or two to your salsa.

o

I've seen the raves about this recipe but had a recipe we've used for over 20 years. I had a hard time finding my salsa recipe the other day and remembered Annie's. I wound up printing off both and compared them -- Annie's uses cumin and mine uses chili powder. Annie's also adds the tomato paste and sauce.

For the seasoning, I did hybrid of the two plus some and did try the addition of just one small can of tomato paste but not any sauce. For the peppers, we used an assortment of mild and hot peppers from the garden. Really love the way it turned out. It's a stretch for a self-respecting Texan and purist to add anything out of a can, but the one small can was just enough to give the base of the sauce some added body but kept the fresh out of the garden taste. We may have to use a little more hot pepper in the blend to compensate on future batches. We'll see if this changes any on sitting a while.

Looks like my new recipe will be BethAnnie's salsa. LOL At least I feel like I'm part of the group, even if only on the fringes. :D

o

Beth, I only added the canned stuff for the texture, so it looks like that succeeded, LOL.

I did find that mine got a bit hotter upon sitting for a week or so, so I wouldn't add more hot pepper until it's "matured" a little and you taste it then.

Annie

o

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I just started canning last summer. Still lots to learn.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here