Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgkritch

Reusable canning lids - Tattler

dgkritch
13 years ago

Linked to their site below.

Has anyone actually used these? Opinions?

About 6X the cost initially, but if they last as long as they tout (20+ years), it would be a cost savings in the end.

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Tattler Reusable Canning Lids

Comments (20)

• roof
    13 years ago

I'm interested too, Deanna.

One problem I envision, however, is the difficulty of having folk return the lids and rubber seals. As you point out, they are alot more expensive than standard snaps lids.

We give away alot of stuff, mostly jams and canned fruit and chutney, and getting the jars back is hard enough! And particularly with other family members who can themselves. Those jars are on a one-way trip...I'm thinking of etching my name on MY jars :-)!

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

If you etch your jars you will weaken the glass and can break. That is if you mean etch with something metalic. Or do you mean that etching cream stuff ? I don't know how it would work. There is some glass paint I have thought about trying.
    We had a discussion not long ago about those lids.
    I would not buy them. They are expensive and I see no benefit. You still will have to buy the rubber seals. I read the info online and it says "they MAY be reusable". Not that they are.
    I also emailed them asking for a few samples as I teach food preservation. I have a large audience. If they were that great I would be able to tell many people about them. I did not hear back from them at all. Now, I would think they would jump at the chance if their product is so wonderful.
    The one use lids I think are cheaper in the long run. I got a great deal online from ebay and have stocked up on lids. The shelf life is between 5 to 7 years on them.
    I know we say to buy fresh lids each year, but I have found no problem with storing them.

• roof
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda,

Well, that's a bit of a tactical business error: not sending you some of the lids to test out. I'd still like to get some and have a go. I just like to try different things.

I too have found that the regular snap lids are good for a longish time. I've had some for longer than 5-7 years, and they too were fine.

-------------

I thought of etching with an abrasive bit on a dremel tool....Though in the olden days here, the dairies used acid. They took tar and coated part of the jug, then scratched through the tar their name. These bottles were important possesions to them, and I believe, they sterlized them in an autoclave...near enought to a pressure canner.

That said, the glass of an old milk bottle is a lot thicker than a canning jar. But I have to try something! I value my jars many of which are from the 1940's and given to me by a wonderful old woman who used them in her youth.

Heaven knows how many times they've been used! They were very well cared for and some even had the old lables on them: Peaches July 19th 1942. Pretty impressive and interestingly, the very best aren't Ball or Kerr or Atlas, or Presto, they are no-names that I think originally had store-bought pickles or something. Very thick glass.

Also, she gave me a slug of straight sided oyster jars, about 10 ounces or so. A useful size, that.

Cheers

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought about people not returning them also, but figured I could use them for things I don't usually gift (i.e. green beans, plain peaches, carrots, etc.).
    I never count on getting my jars or rings back when I give a gift. I just figure it's part of the "gift wrap".

I "thought" I read on the site that the rubber ring is reusable, but did notice that they sell just that piece separately so assumed it at least failed earlier than the plastic top.

I would love to be able to use them for pickles where the vinegar and metal rings have corrosion issues!

Good feedback. And yes, LindaLou, I think they missed a huge opportunity to make an "in" with actual food preservers, teachers and even the colleges that support extension programs. Word would have spread fast!

Maybe I'll just skip it. Maybe I'll get one box and see how it goes. If anyone else tries them, be sure to post an update!

Deanna

• readinglady
    13 years ago

Rubber gaskets don't last forever and aren't cheap, so I keep wondering if the cost overall for that system is much cheaper than for lids and screw rings, especially if you manage to get replacement lids cheaply as Linda_Lou did.

The tattler system is BPA-free, which for some is the pre-eminent advantage over the conventional lids and rings.

Carol

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Ok, I confess. I bought 2 sets of regular size to try them. So far, so good. Using only on non-give a ways of course and so far only on acidic foods except for one jar of green beans as I wanted to see how they did in the PC (it did fine).

PROS: Easy to use, seal well and clearly (just no 'ping'). Seal holds up great to the lid lift test and the upside down test. Easy to break the seal when opening with a table knife slipped in between per their instructions and you do get a good 'pop' of vacuum when you do open. And no rust or stains of course.

Have re-used only 4 of them. They were from jars of jam we opened and re-used on new batch of jam and they all resealed just as they did the first time.

CONS: really none so far except that I have found 2 different rings that won't screw down on them for some reason while all the other rings work fine. These 2 were some of the older white ones so likely is the band itself, not the Tattler lid. There is the loss of the pinging sound and that I can't stick labels on them so they have to go on the jar instead. No big deal. I would like to see the rubber rings be a little thicker but then the sealant on the newer Ball lids isn't even as thick as these rubber rings are. It would also be nice to have the tab that is on the Weck rubber rings to use as a seal double check and release mechanism.

Soon be starting on potatoes and tomatoes (of course!) so will see how more do in the PC.

Dave

• roof
    13 years ago

Thanks Dave,

That's a pretty positive report from a very experienced canner. To me this is significant.

I was also worried they are "fiddley" to use: Can't use a magnet to get them out of the hot water; have to put together 3 elements of the closure; lid, rubber washer, and threaded band...

But the thought of a non-throwaway lid for canning jars is pretty appealing, as is the elimination of BPA.

Thanks again, Roof

PS.....I suppose folk could chip in and share the cost of the new rings. Probably not everyone would require 500 of them.

• dgkritch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Roof,
    The products I saw on the website didn't force a purchase of 500. There's a 3-dozen (lids and rubber rings) set for about $24. Then the replacement rings were available in 1 dozen boxes for $2.xx.
    I figure I'd have to get 6-8 uses out of them to break even for what I normally pay for the metal lids.

Do let us know how it goes Dave. It's good to get feedback from a real canner, not associated with product sales!! LOL

Are you keeping track of the number of uses?

Deanna

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

I think these are fantastic. Exactly what is needed for pickles and other high acid products. I hate to open a jar and find the top lid has been etched away and there is possible metal contamination in the food. I do not know why this issue is not addressed with the lid makers. It seems just impossible to hold pickles without a problem.

Actually the price is fairly reasonable. I am sure that if these totally replaced the regular jar lids the price would fall considerably on the higher volume.

My guess right now is that these lids are safer to use for your overall health. Therefore they are cheap. Try to measure the cost of the lid against the cost of cancer at a good hospital with a good doctor. Besides your life the total cost of cancer will easily exceed say $100,000. compare that to 50 cents for a lid.

Great value.

disclamer. I have never heard of these until 5 minutes ago and have no financial interest in this. I hope there is not something wrong with them. I am going to do a google search on them and see if there are problems.

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

I don't notice any problem with the metal lids and acidic things. I use those Ball plastic storage lids in the fridge, but maybe they have BPA, I don't know. Never thought about it.
    I heard Ball is going to do away with their BPA in their lids. We shall see.
    Will be interesting to see how long the rubber seals last on these, Dave.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Only 2 uses on any of them so far. Keeping the used ones in one kitchen drawer and the unused in another but will have to come up with a way to track the number of uses beyond 2. Suggestions? DW suggested envelopes with # of uses on each envelope.

I will add to the above that I can see how the rings could be damaged if the seal is not carefully released when opening. None of the old popping with a can opener. ;)

Directions say "gently insert table knife between rubber ring and jar to release seal. Do not use a sharp knife."

Will keep you posted.

Dave

PS: if interested I have seen discussions on using these on some of the other food preservation forums.

• roof
    13 years ago

Thanks Deanna,

I should have looked more closely. Those prices seem workable, and it appears that you'd get more than 6-8 uses out of the lids and gaskets...certainly the lids, it seems.

Seems like a substantial development. Were I Ball, I'd hurry up on the no BPA lids instead of engaging in a long and drawn out food saftey and contaminant discussion and controversy.

Cheers, Roof

• readinglady
    13 years ago

It's my understanding Jarden is working on BPA-free lids. This is an issue for the entire food industry, not just Jarden, so I expect manufacturers are feeling the pressure, especially in those who market in countries like Germany.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Health Canada and Germany on BPA

• gardendawgie
    13 years ago

The white plastic Ball lids for the jars do not seal tight therefore I can not leave the pickles in the jar outside of the refrigerator for long periods of time. I need the jar to be sealed.

The lids are not super cheap but they are not super expensive either for the proper use. My health is worth a few dollars to keep the doctors and hospital away. Look at how much you pay for one month of health insurance. the lids are cheap for high acid items like pickles and sauerkraut.

Just my opinion and I am willing to pay the price for a few. I will continue to use the regular metal jar lids that I already have for other things.

• readinglady
    13 years ago

For refrigerator storage I just screw the white Ball lid (meant for short-term storage of unsealed jars) on over a canning flat. That prevents leaks if it tips over and reduces oxidation.

Carol

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Agree with Carol - just put a lid inside the white plastic one for a much better seal. It is a good use of any used lids you might have saved.

Dave

• lingon
    13 years ago

I am also looking to avoid BPA, but I'm not sure I trust an "FDA Food Grade" plastic that doesn't have BPA not to have something else nasty that hasn't reached the public's notice yet. Every plastic has some sort of plasticizer or solvent, and at high temperatures and high acidity it might leach into the food. I'm not a chemist - anyone have more experience with the polyacetal base resin, or Polyoxymethylene Copolymer (POM) or Acetal Copolymer in these lids?

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

No, but that sure has crossed my mind, too, about the plastic in the tattler lids. I don't want to bother with them if they are not any more safe or reliable for a seal.

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

I readily concede that a concern about BPA was in no way my reason for choosing to try these. It was the re-use ability and potential cost savings that interested me. That and a desire to support the "little guy" manufacturer when possible.

IMO any damage done to me by BPA was done long ago since most of us grew up with it and all the other components of plastics. So there is nothing to be gained by me eliminating it from my life at this stage. For today's kids and my grandkids, of course, for me, no.

2 lids and rings went onto jars 3 today and sealed with no problem. Now all I have to do is figure out when they become cost-effective and as we all know, math is NOT my strong point. ;)

Dave

• digdirt2
    13 years ago

Said I would post a follow-up on the re-use.

6 sets of lids and rubber rings this AM were use #4 and 2 were use #3. 1 jar didn't seal but I don't know which one of the above it was. Flipped the rubber ring over, re-set the lid, and reprocessed the jam and it sealed fine.

All of the ones previously used on a few jars of green beans and 4 jars of tomato juice have retained their seals with no problems.

As to the math - reg. lids at Walmart cost me $1.50 a box or .125 cents each. The Tattlers are .58 cents each. So after 4.65 uses the Tattler's will have paid for themselves and any more uses will be free.

Dave