Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pyxiwulf

Freezing Peaches?

pyxiwulf
13 years ago

I came into a few pounds of peaches today and want to freeze them. My references all say to freeze in water or sugar them. Has anyone tried dry freezing them, like you do with blueberries?

On another note, I've never had a dried peach, and I was considering drying some. Are they good?

Comments (5)

• nancyofnc
    13 years ago

I have successfully frozen peaches for making jam later. Plunge peel, cool, slice, measure, plastic freezer bag. No added water or syrup or sugar. I use 4 cups for a batch but put them in 2qt bags so they are fairly flat when frozen that makes it easier to defrost (in the sink with warm water for 15 min.).

Nancy

• Linda_Lou
    13 years ago

If you freeze them plain pack then I would suggest sprinkling them with Fruit Fresh first. That will help keep them from browning. It is just vitamin C, so not harmful at all. Even adds more vit.C to your diet.
    You can also mix up Fruit Fresh in water, dip the fruit in that first, too.
    Even crushed vitamin C tablets dissolved in water will work.

• gardengalrn
    13 years ago

I've done both dry freeze and also made a very light syrup and both ways came out good. I dipped the peeled/sliced fruit in a bath of some kind of fruit fresh or lemon juice type and placed them on a baking sheet to freeze. Once frozen, I put them into freezer bags. I liked the ease of grabbing a few peach slices as a snack and the sugared type in cooking. Lori

• pixie_lou
    13 years ago

I freeze mine as a peach puree. Peel and pit the peaches, throw in a pot with about and inch of water. Simmer until peaches are soft, then use an immersion blender to puree.

Preciously I found that I was always waiting for my frozen peaches to defrost so that I could puree them. I typically mix in a smoothies, add to applesauce for canning in the fall, stir into yogurt.

• oregonwoodsmoke
    13 years ago

Yes, dried peaches are quite good.

I freeze peaches when they are fully ripe. Peel them, slice them and drop them into a water bath containing a couple of tablespoons of frozen orange juice concentrate. That will keep them from darkening as you get the whole batch ready to freeze.

Then I scoop them out with a slotted spoon and fill sandwich size ziploc bags. Press out the air and prop them zipper side up in the freezer until they are frozen. Then the smaller bags get put into a larger ziplock.

So they are frozen with a very light coating of dilute orange juice on them. They are drained before freezing, but not rinsed.

I have purchased frozen peaches that are dry frozen. There is nothing else but peaches listed on the label, so maybe they are flash frozen so they don't have time to darken.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner