Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Bulk Pectin?

Posted by delairen (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 16, 11 at 20:34

Hey All - in preparation for canning this season, I thought I'd purchase some bulk Pectin rather than the individual boxes - and was wondering if anyone had any experiences they'd care to share - things I'd like to know are:

what brand you purchased
how much did you use per recipe
how well did it work
where did you buy it

...And anything else pertinent. :-)

I've already ordered a pound of Pomona to try out, but from what I've been hearing it's not the best for getting really clear jellies, so I figured I'd get some of both regular pectin and Pomona and use the regular pectin for full-sugar Jellies. Thoughts? Thanks!

Del

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Bulk Pectin?

Id also like to know as well. What is a good bulk source for pectin, pickling seasonings and salt, etc. Thanks

o

well delairen, i have been having the same question, i found some ball pectin in a container that would make 3-4 batches and it said that use 6 tbs. per normal boxes. i found it at pamida, but i've seen it at k-mart. i haven't tried it yet, i'm slightly worried that it wouldn't work because i have always used sure-jell.

o

You can buy Pomona Pectin in bulk. I've only used it out of the boxes, but I liked it. It's a no-sugar pectin that uses calcium for activation, so it's great for people who want to be free to add their own kinds/amounts of sweeteners. The only problem I had is that the set on my raspberry jam was just a teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeny bit soft. Not enough to make a difference, but definitely not as firm as what I got using SureJell. Could have been user error, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pomona

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here