Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengalrn

Quick jamming question

gardengalrn
12 years ago

I've got a few recipes I want to try and have 4 quarts of strawberries (plus a few handfuls from my own garden), 2 half pints of raspberries, 2 quarts of blueberries and a few peaches. I wanted to make a mixed fruit jam, maybe the strawberry/raspberry and I do have a recipe for that. If I wanted, could I add some of the other fruit as long as I follow the fruit to sugar to pectin ratio that it calls for? Thanks in advance for what is probably a repetetive question. Lori

Comments (5)

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Yes, you can combine them. I would follow the recipe for the fruit you use the most of. If equal amounts, read both sets of ingredients and keep the ratios the same.
    With the fruits you listed, you shouldn't have any problems as they all set well.
    Jam is low risk if proper canning methods are used. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't set (then we call it syrup), or it sets too firmly (heat and use as a glaze or still as jam).

Deanna

• gardengalrn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much, I did go ahead and make the strawberry-rasp jam but do have intentions to make a few combos in the near future. The strawberry/rasp jam was the best I've ever made and definitely delish. Lori

• readinglady
    12 years ago

You could always try Old Bachelor's Jam. There are many versions, some with liqueur and some not. This one from Martha Stewart will give you the basic idea.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Bachelor's Jam

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

raspberry peach is an awesome combination

• drmbear Cherry
    12 years ago

If you use a low methoxy pectin (Pomona's), any combination of fruit, sugar to taste, whatever you'd like to do, and it will set perfectly. I know because I've done it multiple times, never an issue. Low methoxy pectin does not depend on the sugar to set, so adds far more flexibility.