Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick jamming question

Posted by gardengalrn 5KS (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 18, 11 at 20:39

I've got a few recipes I want to try and have 4 quarts of strawberries (plus a few handfuls from my own garden), 2 half pints of raspberries, 2 quarts of blueberries and a few peaches. I wanted to make a mixed fruit jam, maybe the strawberry/raspberry and I do have a recipe for that. If I wanted, could I add some of the other fruit as long as I follow the fruit to sugar to pectin ratio that it calls for? Thanks in advance for what is probably a repetetive question. Lori

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick jamming question

Yes, you can combine them. I would follow the recipe for the fruit you use the most of. If equal amounts, read both sets of ingredients and keep the ratios the same.
With the fruits you listed, you shouldn't have any problems as they all set well.
Jam is low risk if proper canning methods are used. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't set (then we call it syrup), or it sets too firmly (heat and use as a glaze or still as jam).

Deanna

o

Thanks so much, I did go ahead and make the strawberry-rasp jam but do have intentions to make a few combos in the near future. The strawberry/rasp jam was the best I've ever made and definitely delish. Lori

o

You could always try Old Bachelor's Jam. There are many versions, some with liqueur and some not. This one from Martha Stewart will give you the basic idea.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Bachelor's Jam

o

raspberry peach is an awesome combination

o

If you use a low methoxy pectin (Pomona's), any combination of fruit, sugar to taste, whatever you'd like to do, and it will set perfectly. I know because I've done it multiple times, never an issue. Low methoxy pectin does not depend on the sugar to set, so adds far more flexibility.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here