Return to the Harvest Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
canning salsa

Posted by MamaTerri none (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 21:09

I am wondering, if you plan to can salsa using fresh tomatoes, is it safe to cook your tomatoes the night before? I am asking because I have a load of tomatoes ready to be used but am unable to get canning salt until tomorrow. I am worried that my tomatoes might not keep until tomorrow, as I have put off using them for a week now. Needless to say, I am new to canning and I welcome any advice that can be offered!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: canning salsa

Cook just the tomatoes or cook all the salsa the night before? Cooking just the tomatoes would be a waste of time since cooking all the ingredients together is what allows the flavors to blend before canning it. And if you had to re-cook them the next day after adding all the other ingredients then the tomatoes are going to be really mushy.

But cooking the salsa itself - all mixed together - is no problem if it is then kept refrigerated overnight and re-heated the next day before filling the jars.

Just make sure you are using a safe, tested and approved recipe since salsa is nothing to fool around with given it is low-acid vegetables.

Dave

PS: I am assuming you understand that the salt is optional anyway.

o
RE: canning salsa

In addition to the salt being optional, you could cook everything else and add the salt while reheating prior to filling your jars.

In this case, you could also use regular table salt since the clarity of brine isn't an issue. It isn't normally recommended because it has anti-caking ingredients that can cause cloudiness, but salsa isn't transparent anyway.

In the future, you may want to freeze your tomatoes (just rinse and toss them in a ziploc bag) until you're ready to actually can them.

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Harvest Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here