Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smdane05

Best Chinois?

smdane05
11 years ago

I am looking to purchase a chinois to add to my ever growing canning collection. Does anybody have a suggestion where to buy it or brand?

Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Is this to actually use? Rather than a more efficient and easier to use mill of some type? If so, then just out of curiosity, may I ask why and what for?

Chinois have been outdated for so long that its unusual for some one to actually want one for anything other than an antique collection.

Course I say that and then Google pulls up many different places where they are still for sale.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Chinois for sale

• smdane05
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,

I used Chinois because that seemed to be the term used for them when I was looking up sieve for canning, lol. I'm looking for something that will make it easy for me when I have little seeds or skins when I do can.

This is my first year really getting into home preservation so I would love any input :)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Food mills, ie: Foley Food Mill replaced chinois decades back and they have since been replaced by food strainer/sauce maker/tomato mills ie: Victorio Sauce Maker. And even they have been improved on by the addition of motors and as attachments for base models like Kitchen Aid.

It all depends on what you plan to use it for - tomato sauce, salsa, apple sauce, berries, etc. - and how much money you want to invest.

The Victorio and similar models - several brand names to choose from - are what most here use for all sorts of things that require the removal of seeds and peels. Linked some previous discussions about them below.

OK?

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: food mill discussions

• kriswrite
    11 years ago

I just use a fine sieve I found at Walmart. In cases where it's not fine enough, I put a coffee filter in it before using. Works great :)

• val_s
    11 years ago

I use a chinois because I got it free from my grandma but I notice that my local hardware store has them on the shelf.

Now with that aside - I'd love to have something like the Victorio but I don't have the right table top nor the right counter top for it to clamp to. The electric ones aren't quite in the budget either.

I found a Foley at a garage sale for like a quarter or something so bought that thinking it would be easier on the arms than the chinois. For me that wasn't so. I can get more in the chinois and it doesn't seem to take as long as the Foley but also the Foley IS a little easier on the shoulder blades....it's a toss up I guess. Also, the Foley was messier for me.

If anyone knows of a decent electric model that works well and won't break me, I'd be glad to hear about it. I looked on Amazon and thought I found one once but the reviews were horrible on it so I passed.

Val

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Val - We had the same problem - thick rounded counter edges you couldn't clamp things to - but there are all kinds of ways that the Victorio-types can be adapted to clamp on to things if you really want one without getting into the motorized versions. What are your counters like where you'd use it? Got any big wooden cutting boards, an old wooden chair or table?

Dave

• val_s
    11 years ago

Hey Dave - My counter top is the old "no-drip" style. Came with the house; if we ever remodel the kitchen, I'll personally rip them out. (see link)

Our table is almost as bad. It has an edge that I COULD clamp things to if it wasn't for this little skirt edge that comes down. I've offered to saw a section off so that something could clamp but hubby won't hear of it. Didn't know he was so attached :-)

I don't have anything thick and wooden so I'm not sure how to adapt but I'd be willing to learn if it brings me into this century. I hate hate hate my counter tops!

Laminate Counter Edges

Any help would be great. My friend has one but she says she has to lay down plastic everywhere, table, floors because it spits juice out all over. That's kind of made me be slow in updating as well. The chinois doesn't do that.

--------------------

Great day in the morning! My husband just said if an electric one will help me that much with the canning to go ahead and get one as long as it's not outrageous. Hmmm...he could have told me that before I typed out all this mess :-)

So I guess I'm open to ALL kinds of suggestions.

Val

• val_s
    11 years ago

Ugh! I stayed up till very late looking for electric tomato mills. My eyes are sore. They still seem cost prohibitive to me. I guess I'm stuck with chinois until the shoulder gives out :-)

Val

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Val - what we did before I finally built a center island for the kitchen that ours could clamp to was use a big woodworking clamp with wide jaws (see link below) to clamp a thick board (an old 2'x2' cutting board or any thick board you can salvage or buy) to the counter - one clamp on each outside edge. Leave about 1/3 of the board hanging out over the edge of the counter. Clamp the Victorio to that sick out board part facing in to the counter. Set catch bowls on the clamped board. Worked great and lots cheaper than a motorized version. You might need a small piece of wood to shim under the cutting board to bring it up to level.

Any of the Jorgensen models will work and can be reversed if needed depending on the countertop lip size.

Jst have to think a bit outside the box to create an artificial, temporary new lip edge for the counter.

Another option is an old yard sale wooden stool or chair. Clamp the grinder to it and put your knee on it to hold it in place.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: woodworking clamps

• val_s
    11 years ago

Thanks Dave - I have some of those clamps I think. Now I'll just have to find some kind of big piece of wood somewhere. Going on vacation tomorrow so I'll start looking when I get back and order one of the Victorio strainers you recommended.

Hopefully I can get out of the dark ages :-)

Val