Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missemerald

Zucchini ideas, please...

missemerald
11 years ago

I didn't grow any squash this year... I grow a lot of stuff but I've never had much luck with squash, so decided not to bother this year. Hubby doesn't like it; kids and I do. Anyway, for the last two weeks our CSA has been delivering bumper crops of squash to my house. Today we got a dozen assorted large varieties... yellow, green and scallop (we call that one "UFO squash"). I made lots of squash pickles and relish last year so don't need anymore of that, but I'm running out of other ways to preserve it. Hubby also won't eat stuffed squash but will eat it when it's hidden (choc zucchini cake, "spice" bread, spag. sauce, etc) so I do that a lot. I'd love some new ways to preserve this stuff... preferably before next week's CSA box arrives! Thanks!

Marcy

Comments (8)

• Deborah-SC
    11 years ago

Have you ever made squash casserole? If y'all like it, go ahead & stew the squash & then portion it out into freezer bags. You'll be ready to assemble a casserole in a jiffy.

• dgkritch
    11 years ago

You can also just grate the zucchini types (yellow or green) and freeze in 2 cup portions (or whatever your favorite bread/cake recipes call for) to use later.
    When you thaw it, use all the liquid in the bag too since it would have originally been in there if used fresh.

Deanna

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

If you will types 'zucchini' into the forum search bar at the bottom of the front page you'll get some 90 discussions about it. The first one that comes up is titled "101 things to do with zucchini and summer squash" and has at least that many suggestions and recipes in it.

Dave

• grlsixx
    11 years ago

I made Zucchini Carrot Relish last year and my family loved it! I made a half batch, will make a double batch this year! I followed this recipe from the forum, only used yellow squash and yellow and orange peppers (sweet and hot). It was golden and beautiful! I shredded the veggies and did not rinse off the salt.

Zucchini Relish
    (an homage to Muriel and Linda Lou)

10 cups zucchini, peeled or not, cored, seeded and either ground or shredded
    3 cups onions, peeled, ends removed and grated or finely chopped
    2 cups carrots, ground or shredded
    1 red pepper, seeded, cored and finely chopped
    1 cup mixed hot peppers, seeded, cored and finely chopped (or one green pepper if you're a wuss)
    4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    5 tablespoons canning/pickling salt
    2 1/2 cups cider vinegar
    3 cups sugar*
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper
    2 teaspoons mustard seeds (I used brown-spicier)
    2 teaspoons celery seeds
    3/4 teaspoon tumeric

Combine all of the shredded/chopped vegetables with the salt in a large, non-metallic bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next day, drain very well. (Some people choose to rinse the mixture to remove more of the salt, but I like my pickled relishes a little on the salty side!)

Bring the vinegar, sugar, and spices to a boil in a large stock pot. Add the drained zucchini mixture, stir well, and bring back to a vigorous boil. Some recipes call for up to 30 minutes of simmering the relish, but I think it gets too mushy and colorless if you cook it that long. I would opt for 10-15 minutes until much of the liquid evaporates and the mixture just starts to thicken. Pack in hot, sterilized jars (using that plastic stick thing that came with your canning kit, or any non-metallic spatula, to remove air bubbles from the thick relish). Process in a boiling water bath, 10 minutes for half-pints, and 15 minutes for pints. As with all pickled products, let the flavors develop for at least a month before opening and consuming.

Yield: 5 pints

http://lindseysluscious.blogspot.com/2007/08/god-save-us-all-fromthe-zucchini.html

I also like to make Zucchini Feta Fritters from Epicurious(link below).

Heather

Here is a link that might be useful: Zucchini Feta Fritters

• Monique_CA
    11 years ago

How about dehydrating them? Then you'll have them for soup or zucchini bread during the winter?

• Okie4Ever
    11 years ago

One year I made Zucchini "Bread and Butter" pickles with either zucchini or yellow squash. Very good! The surprising thing is that they didn't turn to mush but were "brickle", (crispy like). Nice cold side for summer picnics and meals.

~Barb

• nightstlkr
    11 years ago

Zucchini Jam is good. I also cut them into spears and dropped them in my pickle jar (store bought and almost out of pickles). After a couple days, they were really good pickles. I am one of those that don't like Zucchini, but grew some because my daughter likes them. :-) I have made quite a bit into bread also and am making more jam today!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    11 years ago

I too have made zucchini relish and it's just as good, if not better, than store-bought relish made out of cucmbers, especially in tuna sandwiches. One hint though--I now grate all the veggies, because if using it like relish on hot dogs or sandwiches, chunks are not good.

So if you want pickles to munch out of hand, make spears or rounds. If you want relish, dice or grind it.

Carla in Sac

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!