Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkramer60

Canning roasted red peppers?

pkramer60
16 years ago

I love roasted red peppers and I so far I have been freezing them with no ill effects to the flavor, but I am running out of freezer space. Can I can them? I use many in several main dish recipes, some of which call for marinaded peppers.

I have done a search and so far all I can find is red pepper spread whicih is not what I want. Any advice here? If this groupd soesn't have answers for me, no one will!

Thanks in advance,

Peppi

Comments (16)

• pkramer60
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I may have found my answer on another thread. The National Center for ....had some instructions to PC at 35 minutes in a hot pack. Can I use vinegar and spices to marinade also? Any recipes for me?

Peppi

• readinglady
    16 years ago

How about this marinated peppers recipe? If you scroll down the page you'll see it's fine to use roasted peppers.

This recipe seems to break all the "rules" with the olive oil, but it has been thoroughly tested for safety.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Marinated Peppers

• river22
    16 years ago

readinglady, that sounds wonderful and so easy!! Thanks for the recipe.

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Also these in a pressure canner,not pickled .

Here is a link that might be useful: Canned peppers.

• Linda_Lou
    16 years ago

Pickled Bell Peppers
    7 lbs firm bell peppers
    3-1/2 cups sugar
    3 cups vinegar (5 percent)
    3 cups water
    9 cloves garlic
    4-1/2 tsp canning or pickling salt
    Yield: About 9 pints

Please read Using Pressure Canners and Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Wash peppers, cut into quarters, remove cores and seeds, and cut away any blemishes. Slice peppers in strips. Boil sugar, vinegar, and water for 1 minute. Add peppers and bring to a boil. Place 1/2 clove of garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt in each sterile half-pint jar; double the amounts for pint jars. Add pepper strips and cover with hot vinegar mixture, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process , packed hot, half pints or pints 5 min.
    If you use clean, hot jars and not boiled to sterilize first, then process 10 min.

• pkramer60
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ladies, thank you. This is just what I was looking for but can you clarify if I am doing this via BWB or PC?

Linda, only 5 minutes?

Peppi

• readinglady
    16 years ago

The Marinated Peppers I posted and the Pickled Peppers Linda Lou posted are BWB. The middle recipe, as indicated, is PC.

The 5 minutes is correct, if the jars are sterilized, but it's just as quick and easy to use hot clean jars and go the 10.

Carol

• prairie_love
    16 years ago

I made the Marinated Peppers last year using either jalapenos or anaheims. They are really very yummy. One friend proclaimed the jalapenos the best thing he'd ever eaten (he likes hot foods). I will defintely do these again. But, if the taste you want is that of canned, roasted rell bells - the marinade is a bit different taste. It's really good, in fact I ended up using some of the marinade as salad dressing.

I am going to try the pressure canned peppers this year also.

Ann

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Add a couple of cloves of garlic to each jar...

• jude31
    15 years ago

Needing a simple recipe without a lot of extra ingredients for roasted red peppers. I would like to be able to use them on salads etc.

• pepfun1
    15 years ago

I too wanted just a simple/plain roasted red pepper canning recipe. Through a search I found this site...hopefully the link works! I haven't tried it yet myself but would love to.

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Peppers (University of CA)

• mellyofthesouth
    15 years ago

This recipe is really great! Last time I substituted thyme for the oregano since I have a thyme plant in the yard.

Fire-roasted Pickled Sweet Red Peppers
    from Small Batch Preserving
    6-8 small sweet red peppers (about 2 lbs)
    1 large clove garlic, unpeeled
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1/2 cup white vinegar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
    1 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1/2 tablespoon dried oregano leaves or 1 tablespoon fresh
    1 teaspoon pickling salt

Roast pepper and garlic on the barbeque grill or on a rack under the broiler until skins are blistered and starting to blacken. Place peppers in a paper bag until cool enough to handle; set garilc aside. When peppers are cook, remove skins, cores and seeds. Cut lenghtwise into strips about 1 inch wide; set aside.

Combine wine, vinegars, onion, sugar, oregano and salt in a small stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Squeeze roasted garlic to remove the skin, mash and add to the saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.

Remove hot jars from canner and pack peppers into jars within 1/4 inch or top rim, being careful not to pack too tightly. Pour boiling vinegar mixture, including the onion, to within 1/2 inch of rim. (I also used the bubble freer to remove the air bubbles.) Process 15 minutes for half-pint and pint jars. Makes 4 half-pint jars.

• jude31
    15 years ago

Thanks, I found a recipe that uses only water and citric acid. What is citric acid and where do I find it. I checked the shelves in canning section of local grocery but did not find it.

• patrick78
    15 years ago

Looking for a way to can roasted peppers in oil without having to store them in the fridge. Please help! Thanks.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

Sorry Patrick - not possible assuming you want them to be safe.

Oil is not allowed in canning because it insulates contaminates such as botulism spores and prevents the heat and pressure from killing them.

Roasted peppers can be dried, frozen, pickled, or pressure canned in water but not in oil. The link posted above to the U of CA site provides all the details.

Dave

• dsz5463_aol_com
    15 years ago

Citric acid is sometimes called sour salt, some old-time grocers carry it. Your best bet might be to find a store which sells supplies for home brewing, that's where I got mine.
    I found a recipe at Pepperfool.com using Kosher salt and citric acid that I plan to try.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES