Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessay3

Blueberry Recipe?

jessay3
16 years ago

Anyone have a blueberry recipe they'd like to share? DM and I are planning on picking blueberries tomorrow afternoon at a U-Pick farm for $1.50 a pound. I'm sure I'll come home with more than I need, so any recipe would be much appreciated!

Jessie

Comments (10)

• mellyofthesouth
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It isn't a canning recipe, but this is my favorite thing to make when we get blueberries. It isn't quite the same with frozen berries.

Cooking Light
    Blueberry Crumble Pie

Ingredients
    5 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
    1 (9-inch) reduced-fat graham-cracker crust
    3/4 cup packed brown sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 (8-ounce) carton low-fat sour cream
    1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
    1 tablespoon granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon margarine, melted
    Preparation
    Preheat oven to 375.

Place blueberries in crust; set aside.

Combine brown sugar, flour, vanilla, rind, and sour cream; spread over blueberries. Combine breadcrumbs, granulated sugar, and margarine; sprinkle over sour cream mixture. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until set and crumbs are lightly browned. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
    Yield

8 servings
    Nutritional Information

CALORIES 312(24% from fat); FAT 8.4g (sat 2.5g,mono 1.7g,poly 0.8g); PROTEIN 3.2g; CHOLESTEROL 11mg; CALCIUM 61mg; SODIUM 166mg; FIBER 4.3g; IRON 1.3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 56.5g

Cooking Light, JUNE 1997

• bob_in_pc
    16 years ago

My wife, son, and I picked blueberries a week ago or so. We came home and we made a blueberry pie.

4 cups of berries
    2 cups of sugar
    1 TBL of lemon juice
    1 TBL of corn starch
    1 cup of water

Place berries in large saucepan and cover with the sugar. Slowly bring it up to temperature until it boils. Add the corn starch and the lemon juice and stir. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes.

Pour into a 9 inch pie crust and top with another pie crust. Bake in preheated oven at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until slightly brown on top.

Let rest and enjoy with vanilla ice cream.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Go out in my back yard in another month and you can pick many quarts. Blueberry wine, blueberry preserves, pies, and even a blueberry cake. I used to make a big cake, using a plain muffin recipe (originally the Jiffy Mix box), but with a bit more sugar, as well as sprinkling the top with sugar just before baking. In my cake, I would add the frozen blueberries and the batter would quickly get to a heavy dough consistancy. It would take about 2 hours or more to bake at a fairly low temperature, so that the berries would thaw and the cake would set, then bake. I describe it as a bluberry cake with the cake part used to just hold all the blueberries together. I would make these as big as my oven could fit. Brought them to work and they would be gone in less than a few minutes..

• dgkritch
    16 years ago

Here's a couple:

Blueberry Lavender Jam

2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
    1 11 1/2- ounce can frozen white grape juice concentrate
    3 cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained

1. Make a lavender sachet: Cut a piece of cheesecloth into a 6-inch square, place lavender in the center, and tie into a bundle with kitchen twine.

2. Cook the jam: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring lavender sachet, grape juice concentrate, and blueberries to a boil. Stir constantly to prevent burning until the berry mixture jells -- about 20 minutes. (To test whether mixture has jelled, place a teaspoonful on a plate and let cool to room temperature. Lightly touch the berry mixture with your finger to see if it has consistency of jelly. If not, continue to cook for 10 more minutes and check again by using the same test.) Cover and steep for 2 hours.

3. Store the jam: Remove the lavender sachet and discard. Divide the jam between 2 pint jars. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.

Blueberry Cream Cheese Braid

Makes 2 braids

Sponge
    1 tablespoon instant yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 1/2 cup warm milk
    2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

Dough
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 1/2-3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup (1 stick) butter

Blueberry Filling
    2 cups blueberries
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

Egg Glaze
    1 egg
    1 tablespoon milk

Cream Cheese Filling
    3/4 cup cream cheese
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tablespoon egg glaze

For the sponge: mix the sugar, yeast, and flour together in bowl. Pour in the warm milk. Beat until smooth, then cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 1/2 hour.

Add the eggs, salt, sugar, and one cup of the flour to the sponge. Beat until smooth. Then add the butter in small chunks and beat well. Add the remaining flour a handful at a time and mix in until a soft but kneadable dough is achieved and the butter thoroughly incorporated.

Knead the dough by hand or with a mixer until it is smooth and satiny, about 5 minutes.

Place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise and room temperature until doubled in size, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Deflate the dough, recover the bowl, and refrigerate overnight.

The next day, make the fillings before shaping the loaves.

Blueberry Filling: combine all of the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then remove from heat and let cool.
    Egg Glaze: combine the egg and milk in a bowl and beat until combined.
    Cream Cheese Filling: combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined

Once your filling has cooled off, take the dough out of the refrigerator and gently deflate it. Divide it into two pieces. Use a rolling pin to shape each piece into a thin (1 cm.) rectangle.

Spread your fillings in the center of the dough.

At an angle, slice the sides of the dough into tabs approximately 1 inch wide.

Alternating from side to side, fold the pieces in over the filling. When possible, gentle press on the tabs to seal the folds.

After it has been fully folded, glaze the braid with egg wash. Cover loosely with plastic (I place the entire baking pan in a clean kitchen garbage bag). Set aside to rise until doubled in size, approximately 45 minutes. While it is rising, preheat the oven to 350.

Just before placing the braid in the oven, glaze it again with any remaining egg wash. Bake on the center rack of the oven for approximately 35 to 40 minutes, rotating it once after 20 minutes so that it bakes evenly. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool for at least half an hour before slicing.

Blueberry Pie - Sour Cream

Author/Submitted by:
    Servings: 4
    Categories: Desserts / Pies & Pastries

Ingredients:
    8 ounces sour cream
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup sugar, (1/2 to 3/4)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1 cup blueberries
    1 pie shell

Directions:
    Mix 2 eggs and sugar. Add sour cream, vanilla, and cinnamon. Fold in blueberries. Pour into pie shell and bake at 350 degrees. Approximately 50 to 60 minutes or until set. Chill and serve. Keep refrigerated.

Deanna

• MLcom
    15 years ago

Went blue berrypicking today think we need to bring this back up to the top.

Thinking blue berry pancakes
    Muffins
    Jelly
    Frozen blue berries
    Pie
    Cobbler

ml

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Blues freeze quite well. Even though I still have part of a bag, thats been in the freezer for several years now, it still has flavor. Made some jumbo blueberry muffins with some of them. I didn't use a recipe, but instead just used flour, eggs, a little milk, sweetener (Splenda), baking powder, and a couple of tablespoons of oil. The berries were mixed into the batter while still frozen and it helps to hold them suspended and will not allow them to bleed out their color.

• joybugaloo
    15 years ago

It's all about the blueberry-lime jam from the BBB! --Gina

P.S. Click the link below for the recipe.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

I second JoyB. My ab fab favorite way to do blueberry jam is the blueberry lime recipe. My favorite baked goods are blueberry pie and muffins.

• bcskye
    15 years ago

Deanna, could the blueberry lavender jam be waterbath canned for longer storage? Is it correct that you need no added sugar? Sounds really yummy to me and I'd like to make some, but would like to have to be able to store it on a shelf like my other jams.

• robinkateb
    15 years ago

Here are my notes from when I first posted that recipe (it explains steps for canning it).

-Robin

Here is the Blueberry Lavender Jam recipe along with notes on canning it

Blueberry Lavender Jam

2 tablespoons dried lavender flowers
    1 11 1/2- ounce can frozen white grape juice concentrate
    3 cups fresh blueberries, washed and drained
    1. Make a lavender sachet: Cut a piece of cheesecloth into a 6-inch square, place lavender in the center, and tie into a bundle with kitchen twine.

2. Cook the jam: In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, bring lavender sachet, grape juice concentrate, and blueberries to a boil. Stir constantly to prevent burning until the berry mixture jells -- about 20 minutes. (To test whether mixture has jelled, place a teaspoonful on a plate and let cool to room temperature. Lightly touch the berry mixture with your finger to see if it has consistency of jelly. If not, continue to cook for 10 more minutes and check again by using the same test.) Cover and steep for 2 hours.

3. Store the jam: Remove the lavender sachet and discard. Divide the jam between 2 pint jars. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month

Note: To modify it so I could can it I just simmered it with the lavender for 20 minutes than removed the lavender (which I had in a teaball). I also made one where I soaked the lavender overnight in the grape juice, yuck too much lavender.