Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Canning Homemade! website and recipes?

pqtex
11 years ago

There have been discussions about canning websites that have reliable information and ones that don't.

I came across a website called "Canning Homemade!" that has a lot of canning recipes that sound really good. The author's profile includes Master Food Preserver credentials.

A lot of her canning recipes sound good to me. Some of them are credited to "Can It" from Better Homes and Gardens. Many are listed as adaptations and she lists the source.

I am careful about using recipes from unfamiliar sources and I'm not experienced enough to judge all of the recipes, but she appears to be very safety conscious and is detailed. Although the NCHFP isn't mentioned (that I could find), first appearances are that she is following guidelines.

Has anyone seen this website? Do you consider the recipes to be reliable in the the realm of safety? If you haven't used the website, I'd appreciate any input about whether the recipes all seem safe to you. And would you consider them reliable enough to try? Spot anything that is not a safe practice?

Jill

Here is a link that might be useful: Canning Homemade!

Comments (4)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Without going through each and every recipe on the website there is simply no way to know. Each recipe would have to be evaluated individually. Yes she "claims" to be an MFP and yes she does cite some approved instructions. Be she also makes changes in recipes and includes recipes from many other unknown sources.

Nothing jumped out at me saying "no certified MFP would recommend this" but I can't take the time to go through the entire site either.

Which is why the consistent recommendation here is to stay away from personal blogs as a source of canning instructions. In general, they are not considered safe sources. Yes there are a few exceptions where the individuals credentials can be verified. That is not the case here.

I skimmed through several categories and found many recipes that are just copied found from an approved/reliable source. But I also found many with no citation. So my questions would be why use this source instead of the approved ones and which specific recipe interests you?

Dave

• pqtex
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input Dave. I posted a reply to you last night, but for some reason it didn't show up. I can't remember exactly what I said, so I'll try again.

One of the first things I noticed was that some of the recipes were her own, or were recipes from our standard reliable sources that had been changed somewhat. However, I didn't see anything jump out at me either that I thought was incorrect. The reason I would be interested in this source is that her recipes really looked good, and she gave me a sense of confidence. I wouldn't want to pass up a good source just because she's not on our current list of recommended sources. I know that we use a few recipes that aren't actually in our standard list of approved sources, such as Annie's Salsa (which I know has been tested) and a bunch of Katie's recipes, which have also been posted here. If we trust the recipes of some, aren't there some others out there that are worthy of our appraisal?

I sometimes visit other canning websites, forums or blogs, just for the heck of it. I am amazed at the willful ignorance at some of them. Backwoods Home is one of those forums. There is no way in the world I would trust ANY recipe there. But there are intelligent, well-thought out sites that I WANT to trust. At first glance, the Canning Homemade! site is one of those. I'd love to hear other opinions about it.

Jill

p.s. one thing I did notice at her website was that her recipes gave a specific headspace requirement, but the photos of the headspace were glaringly off. Somewhere on her site, she does talk about the importance of the correct headspace and why it is important.

• readinglady
    11 years ago

I wouldn't automatically discount her site, if for no other reason than that some visual learners find the photos very helpful.

However, as Dave said, I'd take it on a case-by-case basis and examine any formula lacking a citation with particular care.

It would have been most helpful if the "modified" recipes had cited the original source so that we could check to see what the modifications are. Some kinds of changes are OK, some are not.

I give KatieC's recipes weight, not just because she's an MFP, but because at the time her recipes were posted (not sure now), she was on the staff the Idaho Extension service. That gave her access to an expertise that other MFPs might not have the benefit of.

The same is true of Linda Ziedrich, who cites Oregon Extension staffers as "checkers" for her work.

Many of KatieC's recipes are actually slightly modified Bernardin recipes. (By slight I mean something like a variation in the dried herbs.) They were posted prior to the publication of the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving, which does include Bernardin recipes. So what seems like a questionable recipe turns out to be attributable to a source we stateside couldn't easily access. (Because Jardin only sold Ball books stateside and Bernardin books only in Canada - a stupid policy to my mind.)

I have in years past emailed KatieC inquiring about some of the recipes posted. That might be a good approach for any recipe you are not sure of on the site.

Carol

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I spent more time today digging through the site - primarily to try to find her name. Names and the claims attached to them can be verified as with those Carol mentioned. But I can't find an actual name anywhere. And it sure ins't anywhere obvious if it is there. That makes me suspicious.

Granted it is an attractive, appealing site, especially when compared to some of the others out there. But without credentials that can be verified it still boils down to one person's opinion on a personal blog.

The advantage to Katie's and Linda's sites is that they offer different recipes, things that can't be found from already approved sites. This one doesn't. Many of the recipes I dug through this AM are BBB and NCHFP recipes even when not cited as such and the only changes she made was to cut the recipe in half. Anyone can do that.

Then there are the canning books recommended on the site. No review is offered of them just a recommendation and a link to buy. And at least 2 of them do NOT have good reputations with other experienced canners.

Sorry but just too many "IFs" remain for my comfort so for now IMO it is evaluate each recipe individually and use with care.

Dave