Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annettea_gw

Looking for Better Homes and Gardens white canning bands

AnnetteA
11 years ago

I am desperately trying to find 24 white canning bands for the Better Homes and Gardens jars that Walmart clearanced out earlier this year! We borrowed the jars for a friend's son's rehearsal dinner, and some of them rusted. The lady we borrowed them from is very upset because she has 5 boxes of the jars, and now 24 of them won't match the others because I can't find white bands anywhere. Is there someone out there who might be willing to sell the white bands to me? I will send replacements of the standard color bands available at Walmart. Any takers?

Comments (6)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Hi Annette - I can't help you find the lids and I seriously doubt anyone can as they have been pulled from the shelves all over. According to BH&G they were only offered thru Walmart and they pulled them all once all the issues with started coming out. The lids and/or the bands were only available on the case of jars.

But I have to tell you that if the original owner of them is upset about the rings rusting then she is remarkably uninformed about the nature of rusting of bands - all brands of bands rust - not to mention the reasons why all these jars were discontinued, pulled from shelves, and not recommended for use. There are discussions about the problems with them on canning and craft forums all over the internet. The main issues, aside from breakage even when used just for candles is they were made in China and reportedly had a too high lead content.

The simple solution IF she wishes to continue using the jars for some reason is to replace the rings and bands that come on them with either the gold or silver sets available from Ball or Kerr. That way they all match.

Otherwise you can call BH&G at 1-800-420-2852 ans ask if they will sell you any supply they might still have.

Dave

• AnnetteA
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Found!!! Thanks to one of your helpful members, I ordered these off Amazon.com. Appreciate all the input & help!

• grlsixx
    11 years ago

Hi, I have cases of these jars- are they safe to use? I haven't had problems with breakage or any sealing problems. I am concerned about lead exposure, though. I searched the internet and recalls.gov, but came up with nothing. Anyone know if these should be tossed?
    Heather

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Whether to use them or not is your personal choice.

Dave

• grlsixx
    11 years ago

Can you point me to anything that states these have too much lead? I haven't been able to find anything other than one site speculating that they are full of lead because they are manufactured in China.

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Can you point me to anything that states these have too much lead?

I did not claim that they do contain too much lead. As I said above there are many discussions on the various canning forums about these jars and one issue often discussed is that they "reportedly" have too much lead.

The responsibility for making decisions such as these rests with the user so I did my own research and made my own decision. You have to do the same. It is your personal level of risk tolerance, not mine, that will either jive with the info or not.

So as is usually the case, the best approach IMO is to go directly to the source of the jars - BH&G - and ask them what the issues with the jars are and why the jars have been pulled and or discontinued.

Dave

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus