Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksprairie_gw

Pickle Crisp and Relish

KSprairie
11 years ago

I am going to be preparing NCHFP's Dill Pickle Relish recipe this summer. Does anyone know if you should add Pickle Crisp to this relish recipe or not?

I was also wondering if Pickle Crisp is OK to use with other pickled vegetables. The jar I have does not say one way or the other, and the Ball website wasn't much help either.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

Crispness isn't a characteristic usually associated with relishes IMO so I wouldn't use it, but sure you can use it if you want too.

Use it for other vegetables? Sure. We have talked here about adding it to pickled asparagus, dilly beans, and sauerkraut as well as non-pickled foods like potatoes. But it isn't a "should use it" issue, it is your choice. Try some both ways and see if you prefer using it or not.

Dave

• KSprairie
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dave,

Thank you for your reply.
    I made a couple batches of NCHFP's Dill Pickle Relish recipe last year and wasn't very happy with them. I thought the cucs were a bit mushy, so I wondered if I should have added Pickle Crisp. I might try it to compare with last year's batches and see if we like it any better.
    We weren't really wild about the flavor though, and that was the biggest issue. It wasn't "dilly" enough with just 3 tsp of dill seed in the recipe. I could add more dill seed or dill weed (dry) to try get more dill flavor this year, correct?
    It also seemed like a LOT of liquid. When I use the relish I have to drain off brine first. Have you made this recipe and know if that is typical? I assume I measured and weighed correctly, I know I followed the directions as stated, but I suppose I could have made a mistake somewhere.

Do you or others have a favorite Dill Relish recipe you like to use? Now that I've thought about the things I didn't like about that recipe, I'm not sure I want to try it again!

• digdirt2
    11 years ago

I never make dill relish as we don't use it for anything. We always make the Sweet Relish recipe. But yes you can add more dill (dried) but take care with it as others have reported it can get bitter on the shelf if overdone. That's why they suggest adding additional dill to taste after you open the jar. Easy to do.

Are you using freshly harvested cucumbers? That's the biggest factor when preventing mushiness of the cukes.

And yes the recipes are a bit more liquid that we would find in commercial relish to insure proper heat penetration. The standard recommendation is to just drain off a bit of it when you open the jars.

Dave