Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hankjrfan

Regarding Jalapenos, is there any way to can them in oil?

hankjrfan
14 years ago

I was considering an oil/wine spices mix, with the jalapenos left whole minus stems. into pint jars and hot water bathing for 15 minutes. would they be shelf safe? do you think the hot water bath would break the texture of the pepper down too much? I thought the peppers might "cook" more than mush.

Comments (18)

• readinglady
    14 years ago

There are some few peppers in oil recipes which have been verified as canning-safe. If you look at this Colorado Extension document it does include a canned recipe for Hot Peppers in Oil which is tested for safety. There is also a refrigerated peppers recipe.

Be very careful to choose only safe-tested formulas from reliable sources.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot Peppers Marinated in Oil

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

The only safe way is to marinate them using a safe, tested recipe. They must be HIGHLY acidified.

• hankjrfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you so much and for the link. it is the response hoped for. i bet these babys would go real using wine vinegar. i'll play with it a little but stick with the safety of the recipe provided.
    now just a guessing game as to what the texture of the peppers will be after 15 minutes of bath.
    regardless, it'll be better than not having any come winter.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

i bet these babys would go real using wine vinegar.

No - wine vinegar isn't acidic enough. 5% cider or white only. Other vinegars aren't approved. Note that comment in the recipe.

Playing with the recipe is what takes you from safe to unsafe.

If done in pints only 10 mins. of processing is required.

Dave

• hankjrfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok. see it now. i was actually hoping these could be almost all oil with little to no vinegar at all. but i guess that's not safely possible for the home canner.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

On the subject of things in oil, which I understand is not safe, how do the store bought procesors of products such as sun dried tomatoes in oil, basil pestos etc. that you buy in stores do it? I would love to do my own pestos and be able to keep that bright green basil color. I realize I can dry my own tomatoes, then soak them in oil, just wondering how the store bought stuff is done. Whats the difference?

• hankjrfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

good question, that's what i had in mind with this post. if i could figure it out, i'd put up at least 30 pints of jalapenos.

• Linda_Lou
    14 years ago

You have a little stove, an inexpensive canner, etc. They have mulitmillion dollar equipment.
    They use special chemical preservatives. You cannot compare your own foods to commercial prepared ones.

• digdirt2
    14 years ago

You'll find many discussions here about why and how home canning and preserving differs from commercial canning and preserving and why the 2 can't ever be compared or interchanged.

Basically it boils down to very different equipment, very different processes, the use of commercial strength vinegars and other acidifying agents, irradiation, and the use of preservatives.

As always said whenever this question comes up, if you want to invest in all their high dollar equipment - steam autoclaves, high pressure boilers, irradiation equipment, high pressure vaccum sealing machines, and then undergo the commercial kitchen inspections and testing required, you too can safely preserve commercially processed items at home. ;)

Dave

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Some commercially made products like Mayonnaise is injected with nitrogen before its packed in jars. There is also the use of high vacuum equipment and also radiation that makes some shelf stable products, as I mentioned recently in another thread.

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

Thats what I figured, more chemicals in our food and totally diffrent processing. I am going to try to freeze pesto this year and see how it goes. Just hope I don't lose that bright, fresh green color.

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

Properly sealed in packages for the freezer may darken the pesto a little, but it should be fine.

• readinglady
    14 years ago

I have a gallon of white wine vinegar which is 5% acidity. I use it all the time for canning - 4 Monks brand.

Rice wine vinegar isn't acidic enough but white wine vinegar is. (There may be lower-acid exceptions I'm not aware of.)

I've canned the jalapenos in oil and used the white wine vinegar.

Carol

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

Gardener1908 -
    The commercial packers are using different equipment, and often sterilizing the ingredients with irradiation.

I freeze pesto for using when the fresh basil is not around. Check the link. It darkens slightly, but freezing in baggies with the air squeezed out minimizes color loss.

Here is a link that might be useful: Basil Pesto Recipe for Freezing

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

A Food Saver bag and system would be a great way to bag up pesto for freezing. Don't forget the pine nuts. I also add a little thyme or oregano to mine.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I also freeze pesto, and I freeze fresh basil processed with just enough olive oil to make a paste. I put spoonfuls of the paste on a baking sheet and freeze them, then put them into freezer bags. That way if I want basill for soup, etc. I can take out one frozen piece and toss it into the pot, leaving the rest frozen for the next time. I like pesto, but can only use so much, so the basil/oil combination is a good alternative for me.

Like Carol, I sometimes use white wine vinegar for canning, and I have some champagne vinegar that says it's 5.5%, although I haven't tried canning with it because it's so darned expensive. The real issue is to look at the labels, some are as low as 3%, some as high as 7%, maybe more.

According to my extension service: "Do not use wine vinegars or other flavored vinegars when you make pickles, UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF THEIR ACETIC ACID CONTENT". You need to have that magic 5%.

Annie

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I have a food saver and I wil give it a try for the pesto. Great idea on making a paste and freezing to add to dishes, I love the idea of having *fresh* basil in the winter and not paying $2.50 for a few leaves. And boy do I have basil this year!

• ksrogers
    14 years ago

A few years ago, I dried all my basil and ended up with 4 tightly packed quart jars of it. Enough to last a very long time, as its also under vacuum.